+ Reply to Thread

Default ceiling sheetrock water damage

So, our house got through Katrina in good shape save for a few asbestos tiles that got ripped off, leaving a drip that made the paper tape peel off from our dining room ceiling. I'm finally ready to give it a go, but I'm not sure what to use to fix it. Do I use paper tape again and is the premixed stuff okay? It seems thicker than the stuff you mix from powder. Should I use the mesh stuff?

Thanks for your advice!

Default Re: ceiling sheetrock water damage

You can use whichever tape you're more comfortable using. I prefer the mesh tape over paper for flat work, however you really must use paper on corners. You can use either the premixed mud or the dry, it's personal preference. The key with the premix is to mix it up well in your mud pan before use OR dump the contents into a 5 gallon bucket and whip it up with a stirring wand and drill. Premixed mud will work much more easily once whipped, and you can even thin it slightly if necessary. The only real reason to use the powdered form of drywall mud is if you're under time constraints and you want the layers to dry faster, then only mix what you can use in a reasonable amount of time (one pan at a time, basically ). I always follow "hot mud" with premixed topping compound because topping compound is much easier feather and sand once dry.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: ceiling sheetrock water damage

Thank you! I will report back when complete. I really appreciate your advice.