+ Reply to Thread

Question Bathroom addition on sonotubes?

We are planning a bathroom addition off the side of our house. We have contractors who suggested putting it on sonotubes and say they can insulate the pipes well enough to prevent freezing. Anyone have any advice on this?

Default Re: Bathroom addition on sonotubes?

say they can insulate the pipes well enough to prevent freezing
    The pipes that would be the main concern would be the hot and cold water supplies.... these pipes should be run on the warm side of the room .

In other words they should not be run under the floor of the new addition.... regardless how much they say they can insulate them.

Since there will be inspections required for the addition .... you should contact your local municipal building department regarding the local requirments.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I would never recomend building on piers in an area suject to freezing weather.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Using piers can be successfully used provided it's done properly.

Making sure to be well below the frost line ...... footings that are larger than the pier would be poured at the same time as the pier. This makes them a monolithic component instead of having a "cold " poured connection between the footing and pier. That's why the BigFoot system works well.

Having the footing that's larger than the pier becomes locked in under ground. If the frost tries to heave the pier upward the ground is providing resistance to the footing locked in place.

Aside from that ... I personally wouldn't put a bathroom over unconditioned space below. My thinking is when it comes to water .... either supplies or drains .... should be in the warm side.

Just 2 cents worth.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Aside from that ... I personally wouldn't put a bathroom over unconditioned space below. My thinking is when it comes to water .... either supplies or drains .... should be in the warm side.

Just 2 cents worth.
    Ok, you said it better than I did, but we ment the same thing. I know proper pier construction can be used, but would not reccomend it for this aplication.
    Jack

Oops ... my bad Jack ... I misunderstood your post

I'll go sit in the corner and be quiet now.
    - Rush

No, me getting senile, hard to understand sometimes. At least I haven't started drooling yet.
    Jack