+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Granite and Radiation

it is easy to throw out stats and figures in which there is no way to be verified or authenticated. but then to use them as absolute fact is nothing more than scare tactics. if you are really concerned instead of coming to a message board, contact a geology department at a college and work with them to then establish fact over fiction. that would be a more proper way to affect a change or to in an accredited way to warn the public of a supposed danger other wise a person is simply going to be viewed as a crackpot.

please take this post in the manner it was written, not as an attack but rather with good intentions. I don't dispute the fact of radiation in granite, but rather the realistic long term effects of having a granite countertop in a person's home

What did I avoid?

We're doing all that you suggest. We're working with scientists, geologists, & other professionals. I've contacted every government organization possible.

But a homeowner who is considering purchasing these stones mentioned should be aware of the problem before its too late.

If you want to do more research on the long term effects of radiation & radon emanation then look it up. It's easily found in Google Scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscarpenter View Post
    What did I avoid?
    what your purpose of posting stats or figures was. with out the ability to show that you are an authority on the subject or that these figures could be authenticated, or backed by someone who is an authority, how quick does this reading degrade? what is the realistic health risk posed by having granite countertops? and only in later posts do you try to say it is only the high end exocitics. which probally less than 5 percent of the homes would contain. which then falls into scare tactics, still sounding like someone trying to promote a product

We're doing all that you suggest. We're working with scientists, geologists, & other professionals. I've contacted every government organization possible.

But a homeowner who is considering purchasing these stones mentioned should be aware of the problem before its too late.

If you want to do more research on the long term effects of radiation & radon emanation then look it up. It's easily found in Google Scholar.
    what scientists are you working with? and what geologists? and what other professionals. back it with names and quick before looking for names in google checking time of post

why does it seem you are focusing on african granite and g&l? looks more like you have a beef with one importer and trying to hurt thier business. and since g&l's specialty is called african range, it would appear that you are you are making them your target. why would this be?

for those who are truly interested in the facts about radiation in granite here are a couple of links to mia (marble institute of america) they work closley with osha and other government orginizations who have oversight over the natural stone industry.

http://www.khou.com/images/0805/trut...ion_080507.pdf

http://www.marble-institute.com/indu..._radoninfo.cfm

and I would reccomend using their links to the university of akron which discusses the data and the actual risk from countertops and especially note that it mentions specifically bourdeaux granite that the poster was refering to

Havana, you sure are on the defensive.

Touchy subject for you?

Are you afraid of your own liability?

Have you fabricated some of these Namibian stones?

I am located no where near where G&L (since you mentioned it) is. Our company has never dealt with nor do they distribute to any companies locally. And I didn't just mention the Namibian stones, there are others like some from India. Oh, which by the way happens to include child labor in the quarrying of stone. And this is from the BBC.

No I won't mention names of scientists & others we're working with because the research is still ongoing and scientists don't typically release information until its published. (I'm not a scientist by the way)

But you'll see soon enough. There's already a law firm seeking consumers who've been exposed to radiation.

And I suppose the MIA is a non-profit, charitable organization? They have a lot to lose if this information reaches the masses. They've been denying that radiation in granite is a problem for 13 years.

And I suppose the MIA is a non-profit, charitable organization? They have a lot to lose if this information reaches the masses. They've been denying that radiation in granite is a problem for 13 years.
    Curious ... are there any links to reports from government agencies like the EPA or OSHA that support your claims?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Curious ... are there any links to reports from government agencies like the EPA or OSHA that support your claims?
    all I can say is go to mia's website and then take those links provided to the university of akron. they have to ties together. and that study will show the realistic threat to the consumer. all this radon hazard from granite counter tops when you do the research you will see it isnothing but scare tactics. He either has motive or is simply a parrot because it isn't backed by science and quite the opposite. probally just simply another google expert