+ Reply to Thread

Default how was it wired two 200 amp main

On a episode of this old house there were two 200 amp main curcuit breaker boxs in basement.

How is that wired from the meter.

Default Re: how was it wired two 200 amp main

I saw the same episode and can not speak about how that particular installation was installed. In Maryland where I am a master electrician we would set two 200 amp main breaker panels side by side. A 4/0 Alluminium service cable (SE cable) from each panel would be terminated in the meter socket. Does that answer you question.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    Good answer Harry but you left out one thing. That is how much fun it is to install two of everything in the same meter base.
    If you know any curse words, that will probably be one of those times that you might use them. (smile)

DB
    Actually in Maryland in residential services we were lucky. We mounted the meter can but BGE terminated the cable in the meter socket.
    Harry

***! Ain't you guys lucky. I wish they did that here. Our beloved AEP, here in central Ohio, does not even hook up their own drop into the meter base. We have to run the wire out of the meter base, through a conduit and leave a drip loup out of the mast head for them to splice to. They make the splice from the pole at the mast head, plug in their meter and put on the lock tag. They wire nothing inside the meter base. They do however provide the meter base to you for free. Oh yes, almost forgot,they then send you outrageous electric bills for life. LOL
    That's how it's done here too , unless it's an underground service , then we ( the power company ) will terminate in the
    meter base .

***! Ain't you guys lucky. I wish they did that here. Our beloved AEP, here in central Ohio, does not even hook up their own drop into the meter base. We have to run the wire out of the meter base, through a conduit and leave a drip loup out of the mast head for them to splice to. They make the splice from the pole at the mast head, plug in their meter and put on the lock tag. They wire nothing inside the meter base. They do however provide the meter base to you for free. Oh yes, almost forgot,they then send you outrageous electric bills for life. LOL
    Pennsylvania Power & Light is very similar to all that except they do not provide the meter base. [You do.]
    And with deregulation the bills will rise 31% in 2009. Is this a great country or what?

If it is not underground we have to intall the mast with the conductors. We didn't get off that easy. In Minnesota where I live now there is no SE cable. It is in PVC. I assume the cold temps have alot to do the not using se cable
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens53 View Post
    If it is not underground we have to intall the mast with the conductors. We didn't get off that easy. In Minnesota where I live now there is no SE cable. It is in PVC. I assume the cold temps have alot to do the not using se cable
    Same here in regards to a mast instillation.
    But SE cable is used most often, when allowed, of course.

Here in jersey they don't even splice it unless you want to wait a month.