+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabinets

Hybrid View

Default Cabinets

I want to paint my dated cabinets, where do I start?

Default Re: Cabinets

Citydog, thisoldhouse.com has quite a bit of this type of information, and you can often find it with the search bar at the top of the site. I searched for "paint cabinets" and the first link I got outlines the process pretty well I think, have a look:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...783875,00.html

Default Re: Cabinets

Yes, we have had this discussion before.
    The important thing is your prepping. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE PREP WORK! No matter what you do after - make sure your prep work is thorough.
    Start with a good cleaning, you need to get all the grease and grime off. Then at least lightly sand every surface you will be painting to give the primer something to grab. Then use a good primer - Kilz premium is my fave. Then use a decent paint with a gloss to it for easy scrubbing, and let it dry completely before letting surfaces touch.
    This may sound like a lot of work, but I prepped and painted and rehung my cabinet fronts and drawer over a three day weekend, starting that Thursday night when I got home from work, and not getting a lot of sleep! And I still put pieces of waxed paper over the tops of the doors for a few days to prevent sticking. Here we are over a year later, with 2 males abusing them, and me cleaning them, and they still look great! (before and after shots)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen before 1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	1187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen after 1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	1188