+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What is the best way to ground this house.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Using the old panel as a splice box is pretty common 'round these parts as well. But, who knows, might find a mounty knocking on your door doing that up nort.
    LOL .... no one messes with Dudley Dooright of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Yeah .... I'm sure it's a typical local thing .... a neighbor who had old 60 amp fused service wanted to do some upgrades including a panel.
    The electrical service area was oddly located and the the new panel would be else where. Had an inspector come out and discussed the use of the old service panel as a junction box ... no way he says ... needs to be an approved NEMA enclousure ... yada yada yada.
    So instead of arguing any further and running out to get a NEMA box and punch holes with the Greenlea ... instead ran new home runs to the new panel that was installed .... guess we showed him.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    LOL ....

So instead of arguing any further and running out to get a NEMA box and punch holes with the Greenlea ...
    Interesting.......... So you guys have Greenlea up Nort?

We have a company here in the States called Greenlee that makes K.O. sets

Now kent, you shouldn't make fun of the poor boys accent.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Now kent, you shouldn't make fun of the poor boys accent.
    Jack
    What was that up Nort Ehey
    you guys are to funny
    Harry

Geez ... funny boys ... you know I can't spell
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Fishing a wire unacceptable, OP has described cable. It is not acceptable to fish a wire and combine it with a circuit supplied by cable. You can either fish new cable which contains all the necessary conductors for properly supplying the circuit, or go with no equipment ground and installing the GFCI type receptacle and using the three-prong receptacles downstream, labeled "no equipment ground" and not electrically connecting anything to the equipment ground.
    Yuk Yuk
    don't get the wrong idea here I'm not calling you out or anything but I understand this a little different maybe you can help me see your perspective. 250.130 states " for replacement of non grounding type recepticles and for branch ckt extensions only in existing installations that do not have an egc .... connections shal be permitted as indicated in 250.130(c) wich list 5 ways a single conductor could be used. The illustrated text in the NFPA70 guide goes on to illustrate exactly that.
    When cost IS a factor running a single peice of THHN is an acceptable EGC provided its connected to the GEC, grounding terminal bar, Grounding electrode system, THE METAL WATER PIPE within the first 5 feet of where it enters the building provided it meets 250.52(A)(1)

My point is YES OP you can run a single conductor and this would be better then adding gfi(s) because gfi(s) provide EQUIPMENT protection NOT personal protection. I do agree that the best method would be to re-wire completely and add afci(s) but that expensive.

I hope my point was clear.

A GFCI would make a big differance in out come here.

Jack

You are correct you can stack GFCis such that they will trip incorrectly. The way to get around this is to wire the outlet such that the GFCI is in parallel with the circuit. Here is how to do that In your outlet are two sets of wires. Disconnect the receptacle; with wire nuts add one additional black wire to the black wires and twist on the wire nut( there should be three black wires twisted together in the wire nut). When this is completed you will have a non connected end. That black wire end is connected to the correct lug on the GFCI. You do the for the white wire as well. What you have done is placed the GFCI in parallel with the circuit. The National Electrical code currently requires this method of all receptacles. So This meets code and will stop the GFCI from incorrectly tripping.

Hope this is of some help

Bruce

Question Re: What is the best way to ground this house.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemayfield12@msn.com View Post
    You are correct you can stack GFCis such that they will trip incorrectly. The way to get around this is to wire the outlet such that the GFCI is in parallel with the circuit. Here is how to do that In your outlet are two sets of wires. Disconnect the receptacle; with wire nuts add one additional black wire to the black wires and twist on the wire nut( there should be three black wires twisted together in the wire nut). When this is completed you will have a non connected end. That black wire end is connected to the correct lug on the GFCI. You do the for the white wire as well. What you have done is placed the GFCI in parallel with the circuit. The National Electrical code currently requires this method of all receptacles. So This meets code and will stop the GFCI from incorrectly tripping.

Hope this is of some help

Bruce
    Huh? what?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    Huh? what?
    I'm afraid I'm a little lost on that one, too.
    Jack