+ Reply to Thread

Thread: screws

Unhappy screws

I have not yet found a screw bit that fits a general purpose
    screw.#1 bit is too small.#2 bit slips most of the time.
    deck screws(along with the proper bit)work best,but still
    slip occasionally.
    I have a collection of rounded screws,and"rounded" screw bits.
    I am beginning to wonder if its just me.
    or is it?

Default Re: screws

How long is the screw??? If it's a pretty long one like a 2-3 inch try rubbing the screw threads on a bar of soap. It acts as a lubricant and works awesome. Good Luck!!!

It's tough to find decent tips anymore. The standard now seems to be a cross between a #1 and a #2 sized bit, the result is something too big for small screws and too small for big screws. The best tips reach to the bottom of the screw head and fills the opening completely. You'd think that would do the trick as well, but then the manufacturers go playing around with the tips being hardened or not as well as the quality of the steel the tip is made from. Too soft and they slip and strip out, too hard and they shatter.

Of all the brands, I've gotten the most consistent performance out of DeWalt tips, though I've gotten plenty of those that weren't too good either.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

[QUOTE=Sten;122101]How long is the screw??? If it's a pretty long one like a 2-3 inch try rubbing the screw threads on a bar of soap. It acts as a lubricant and works awesome. Good Luck!!! [/QUOTE

for most of my projects,I'm using 2.5 to 3" screws.lubing the screw sounds like an interesting idea.gotta try it.

For me it is Bosch #2 ribbed tip bits. They grip well and are hard to shatter. I also use a Dewalt impact drill/driver. These choices come from extensive experience and literally thousands of stripped screw heads and and ruined driver bits. When possible pre-drill. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
    I also use a Dewalt impact drill/driver.
    You're right, it's surprising how much the impact helps to drive the screw. I assume that you're using an actual impact driver rather than the "impact" setting on a standard drill, there is a big difference, the impact driver being the better of the two.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The model I use is the Dewalt dc825 18v 1/4" impact driver.
    strictly an impact driver. Great tool.
    I don't use the 2 piece magnetic bit systems...they just won't handle the torc. Mine has a spring loaded detent to hold the bits. Of course you have to use the bits with the detent "slot".

I use Ivory Snow or Tone, no pre drilling required

Ive found EazyPower bits to last longer than any others on the market. Been using them for yrs.

http://www.eazypower.com/shop/
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    I use Ivory Snow or Tone, no pre drilling required
    And it helps keep your screws from getting smelly.