+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default no insulation on outside walls

I live in a frame home built in the late 50's. I cut a hole in the exterior wall. Only to find no insulation. Was this common back then? Do i us a r19 2x4 unfaced insulation and re-drywall the two walls? Thank You

Default Re: no insulation on outside walls

There are a myriad of methods employed and materials used.

For example .... using the conventional fiberglass batts you would need to remove the interior walls if applied from the inside .... or ....installing from the outside remove the exterior siding and install the fiberglass batts.

There are other options like blown in cellulose of fiberglass. This method would simply have strategic holes drilled and with an applicator hose inserted to blown in the insulation. Or ... there is injection type of foam insulation .... similar to the blown in method.

Attach rigid sheets of foam insulation to interior walls then cover with new drywall.

Rigid sheets of foam insulation can be applied to the exterior with a new exterior siding finsh applied.

You might check with your local building department as to suggestions and requirements ... such as a vapor barrier.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: no insulation on outside walls

Quote Originally Posted by walleye1 View Post
    I live in a frame home built in the late 50's. I cut a hole in the exterior wall. Only to find no insulation. Was this common back then? Do i us a r19 2x4 unfaced insulation and re-drywall the two walls? Thank You
    as to if this was common? when I lived in northern michigan we lived in a house that was built in the 1800's and the insulation was newspapers and a very thin layer at that. you have to keep in mind that as you go back in time you have less and less regulations relating to construction of homes. in this part of the country (north florida) home builders didn't have to be liscensed until the 50's