+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Enough header

Hybrid View

Default Enough header

I am adding a addition to my home. The ceilings are low only 7'4". I am building the addition the same hight. I want to install a double door one side fixed in place. There is only 5" of header room and the rough opening is 81" wide. Will the header width be enough to support the rafters above? The rafters are 2' on center and there will be three to support. I am going to make the header out of two pieces of 2x6 with a piece of 1/2 plywood between them.

Default Re: Enough header

Back about 50 years and beyond ....... lumber used was the slow old growth lumber it wouldn't be uncommon to find 2x6 used for headers..... compared to today's fast growth harvested lumber which isn't as strong.

Depending on your particular circumstance you should talk with your local building department .... they will have the definitive dimmension.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If you're spanning nearly 7'......I'd probably make up a flitch-beam (steel in place of the 1/2" ply of the sandwich). Then again, I have some steel laying around. It isn't cheap these days.

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGu...litchplate.pdf

Or you could use a glulam or lvl beam.

Just how strong this has to be will dictated by the anticipated roof loads (assuming this is a one-story addition). Check with your local building department before you build.....or you could end up tearing it out and replacing.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 06-23-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Check with your local building department before you build.....or you could end up tearing it out and replacing.
    Ditto that.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush