+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting Bead Board Ceilings

I have a 72 year old house with bead board plank ceilings.
    I've already repaired warped boards and nailed boards as flat as possible. Still some gaps are inevitible with this old wood. I've used spackel in large gaps, but the number of gaps precludes doing that everywhere. I try to fill the gaps with Kilz and latex paint.
    Is there something that I can add to the paint to make it thicker and fill the spaces between boards? Air drying the paint in the roller pan to make the paint thicker didn't seem to help.

Default Re: Painting Bead Board Ceilings

WX-
    If you want to fill these cracks, I would use elastomeric latex caulk. I would give it at least 24 hours to ensure that it is fully dried and through shrinking before painting over it. Be advised that boards may expand and schrink with the change of the seasons, this is why I would reccommend the elastomeric caulk rather than the cheaper latex caulk. I would try to avoid non-expanding patching materials in these joints. After caulking, simply prime and paint. Again, the latex paint has a more expansive film than does oil paint in this application and would stand a better chance of expanding and contracting with the seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by wxtech View Post
    I've used spackel in large gaps, but the number of gaps precludes doing that everywhere.
    The amount of filling to be done precludes the seam caulking. Only filling the seams by roller painting is possible. Room size: 14' x 14', approximately 50 boards per ceiling. Seven rooms in the house. My intention is to fill the gaps by roller painting. I just need some way to thicken the paint. The gaps for the most part are just hairlines, just wide enough to be noticable.

to get to the point of you question, you cannot thicken the paint to fill the cracks. The properties in all paint keep it in thin coats thus enhancing every defect. To get it thick enough to fill a crack, you could have bulges everywhere.

Bead board is intended to have a joint and after 76 years those joints are going to be a lot bigger in some areas than in others. It's having to fight 2 forces expansion and contraction as well as gravity. That's going to leave uneven gaps

If you are looking for a smooth ceiling then you need to take out the bead board and start over with drywall.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Sherwin williams has a product called Peel-bond, It is a very thick primer like material ment to fill most small gaps and cracks , and prevent gatoring and peeling. it may be what your looking for.

Even though caulking is a daunting task, it is surely your best option. I too have numerous rooms similar in size. However, a $200 investment in a dewalt rechargable electric caulking gun proved to be more than worth while. Use a flexible caulk. I used shermax eurathane base from sherwin williams. Remeber, caulking is a 3 step process. Apply, knead, and wipe off the excess. PS: My walls are also beaded board and I caulked them as well. A lot of work but well worth it.

I, again, agree with ordjen. It sounds like what you want to achielve is aesthetics. Elastomeric caulk has a flexability of around 400% depending on the brand. My favorite is Dura Flex by Duron. The flexability reduces over the first few years as with any caulk but is still far more, with elastomeric, than the boards will ever move.
    It will be labor intensive but after it's painted, will have a good "finished" look.

Red face Re: Painting Bead Board Ceilings

I have finnally found a site to help me paint my mother's house. No one I asked about her type of ceilings knew how I should care for them. I was able to complete the bathroom. I used plain Wal-Mart latex paint, put two coats on, then applied a third. I also had to sc**** the oil paint which had been used more than thirty years ago by my aunt. The kitchen seems to be where my problem lies.Parts of the ceiling looks great then the part over the stove is not working with me. Any sugestions?

Quote Originally Posted by purpleladyT View Post
    I have finnally found a site to help me paint my mother's house. No one I asked about her type of ceilings knew how I should care for them. I was able to complete the bathroom. I used plain Wal-Mart latex paint, put two coats on, then applied a third. I also had to sc**** the oil paint which had been used more than thirty years ago by my aunt. The kitchen seems to be where my problem lies.Parts of the ceiling looks great then the part over the stove is not working with me. Any sugestions?
    This is for another topic but more then likely you didn't wash the cooking grease off from the area over the stove. Even if the ceiling looks clean it probably is not. If you already painted over the grease you are in for a world of hurt as it's going to fail very quickly.