+ Reply to Thread

Default Oil Base Paint Help

I was told that I cannot paint my interior window moldings with oil base paint over the existing water base paint. I do prefer using oil base paint. I did sand them.

Thanks,
    Rose

Default Re: Oil Base Paint Help

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorRose View Post
    I was told that I cannot paint my interior window moldings with oil base paint over the existing water base paint. I do prefer using oil base paint. I did sand them.

Thanks,
    Rose
    Rose-

Some clarification is in order: You can paint oil over over latex paint. In some rare instances, it could break the bond of the latex paint due to differences in the co-efficient of expansion between the two products. I have rarely seen this. It is more common on exteriors surfaces due to the extreme heat variations. I would prime the surface with an oil enamel undercoater and then paint your oil finish coat.

Generally, it is a bad idea to paint latex over oil without using a primer first. Latexes have difficulty adhering to the hard slick surface of oil paints.

Over the years, I have had good results in improving the appearance of "ropey" looking latex paint by applying a good coat of oil enamel undercoater, sanding throughly and then putting on a coat of satin sheen oil enamel.

Default Re: Oil Base Paint Help

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Rose-
    Over the years, I have had good results in improving the appearance of "ropey" looking latex paint by applying a good coat of oil enamel undercoater, sanding throughly and then putting on a coat of satin sheen oil enamel.

That is a really good tip, I have been painting for 10years now and have never heard of that.