+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Fire Extinguisher

I have this old fire extinguisher bolted to the ceiling in my basement. It is dated 1910. Who do I call to remove it? I heard it was dangerous if mishandled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fireextinguisher.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	1163  

Default Re: Old Fire Extinguisher

I would remove it myself . It's not like it's unexploded ordnance from WWI .

Other wise , call your local Fire Dept . Maybe they'll send someone out to remove it for you .

thanks. I think. I was told that this type of extinguisher if dropped suck the oxygen out of the air. I thought someone on the board might have had some experience with them.

I can't say that I can offer too much on this one as I have never seen such a thing, but I'll put in my two cents worth...

Judging by the info you have given, it could be some sort of halon extinguisher. Halon systems are commonly used in locations where regular fire sprinklers would cause more damage than they would prevent by causing water damage (computer rooms, important document storage, etc). The halon system fills the room with halon, a gas that quickly displaces the oxygen, extinguishing the fire. If this is in fact some sort of halon extinguisher, I really doubt that it would be really harmful unless it is in a location that would make it hard to get away from it quickly if it were to go off.

If you are uncomfortable with removing it, I would say that the best thing to do would be to call the fire department and ask them about it. They may be willing to send someone out to take a look at it and advise you from there.

Too old to be HALON .

I agree with all the earlier comments. Just to be safe, try calling the nearest fire station department in your town and I'm very sure they'll be able to help you in removing that 1910 fire extinguisher inside your house.

Is there any way to determine if it is still charged?

No extinguisher "sucks" the air from a room, it discharges and replaces the air. If not charged, most likely no hazard. But don't discard it, clean it up and see what and antique dealer may offer.