+ Reply to Thread

Default Asphalt for Long Driveway?

Dear Members,
    I am new so please be patient with me. I have a major dilemma regarding my driveway and keeping with the right style. I own a 1918 former B&B and now it is our home in Concord, NC. The style would be between English manor and French country. My home sits back off the road, a wooded area and the driveway is 1000 ft from the road plus another 750 feet wraps around the house. I don't have the money for concrete and can't take the dust and dirt coating everything from the current gravel that exists. I have had recommendations of either crush and run or asphalt but don't want to ruin the beauty of my home with the wrong look.

Asphalt seems to be the best for pricing but is it right? Please, please, please help advise me as to what I should do to still keep the beauty but stop the dirt and dust. Your response is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Asphalt for Long Driveway?

Quote Originally Posted by concordnc View Post
    Dear Members,
    I am new so please be patient with me. I have a major dilemma regarding my driveway and keeping with the right style. I own a 1918 former B&B and now it is our home in Concord, NC. The style would be between English manor and French country. My home sits back off the road, a wooded area and the driveway is 1000 ft from the road plus another 750 feet wraps around the house. I don't have the money for concrete and can't take the dust and dirt coating everything from the current gravel that exists. I have had recommendations of either crush and run or asphalt but don't want to ruin the beauty of my home with the wrong look.

Asphalt seems to be the best for pricing but is it right? Please, please, please help advise me as to what I should do to still keep the beauty but stop the dirt and dust. Your response is greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't be afraid of doing the asphalt, I think it would probally blend in better than concrete in that being black you can draw attention away from it with the proper landscaping making that the focal point instead of the driveway

It seems to me asphalt can also be colored so it's not your standard black.

Or .....

You might find this method the "cat's meow" http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...211820,00.html
    http://www.larrytorti.com/portfolio.htm

A rural area nearby uses this similar method on the roads. It's an economical alternative to pavement and still has the natural look.

Just athought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

You could consider using the asphalt in the area immediately around the house and for about the first 200 feet going away from the house. Then use the 'crush and run' for the last 800 ft out to the road.
    That would help keep the dust/dirt away from the house, but keep the 'County Charm' of having a gravel drive coming off the street.

Although I don't have near that much area this is what I am doing with my new house; 40x65 asphalt parking area in front of the garage, 380 ft of gravel drive, and a 30ft asphalt apron out at the road. The reason for the apron at the road is that it is much easier to keep the snow/ice off of it in the winter, esp. that heavy chunky stuff the snow plows leave behind.

Hope this helps!

JPO

Thanks to all of you that replied with great comments and your feedback is greatly appreciated! It helps to know that my decision will be the right one and still keep with the charm of preserving a country setting.

By the way...I'm not a "Sir" but hey thanks for your great comment-glad to know "you're around"

Much appreciated!
    MS. Concordnc