+ Reply to Thread

Default duplex outlet not working when screwed into junction box

Having a strange problem that I found after my wife overloaded one of the circuits and tripped a breaker. After finding the shorted wiring and replacing, the breaker now stays in the on position and all recepticals/fixtures on the circuit are receiving power. But at one outlet I cannot get any power through the plug when it is touching/screwed into the junction box. If I pull the outlet out of the box to where it is not touching the metal junction box the outlet works fine. This is the last box on one branch run of the circuit so there is only neutral and hot coming to the box (bx cable with out separate ground wire) and no wiring leaving the box. I have tried replacing the outlet with a new one to eliminate the possibility of the faulty unit but the same issue exists. I have also added a separate wire to connect the ground screw on the outlet to the junction box, but this did not have any effect. Any ideas on what might be causing the problem and/or how it can be fixed would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: duplex outlet not working when screwed into junction box

Could be caused by using the stab connectors rather than having the wires connected by the screws. It is also possible you have a wire broken inside the insulation that separates when you bend the wire when pushing the recep into the box.,
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'll change to the screw connection instead of the stab version tonight and see what happens. Hope it not teh broken wire issue as I'd really have to tear up the wall to correct that (90 year old home, plaster walls, etc... yuk).

thanks

Are you using arch fault or regular breakers? Here in Atlanta, they are requiring arch fault breakers and there are lots of issues with old homes and shared neutrals.