+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down Installing Mini Split Ductless A/C

I cannot find real people on-line that have installed their own mini split ductless air conditioners. I can find literally hundreds of them for sale, but nothing on problems or ease of installation. I have an HVAC license, form when required to buy R-12, and have serviced many central air units. I am looking for people who have experience with mini split systems, and any recommendations or warnings, before I decide on which unit to install. I am looking for 12,000btu heat pump type, maybe with electric secondary, for my 100-year old farm house. Currently using 4-window units for entire house.

Default Re: Installing Mini Split Ductless A/C

If you are looking for someone who has installed their 'own' mini-split, I can't help you. On the other hand, if you are willing to get some advice from an HVAC contractor who has installed numerous mini-splits, let me know.

R-12 license won't do you any good. HVAC is going to require R-22 or more likely, R410a.

You should be able to go to multiple websites and get most of your 'pro' and 'con' questions answered. If you are looking for a step-by-step installation direction, that may be a little harder to come by.

All the best, Irishmist
    Live your life as an EXCLAMATION; not an explanation!

Default Re: Installing Mini Split Ductless A/C

You stated you have an 'HVAC License'. This is code talk for EPA certification usally.
    Any legit contractor could go to his local distributor and get all the info he needed. Including step by step instructions, and factory support and training.
    Mini splits are great, but not resomended for auto mechanics or maintenence men to install.
    Its clear from your question you dont do this for a living, call somone who does, you will be glad you did.

In the interest of being positive here, I have have had very good experience with Mitsubishi, but good luck finding one in R-12, they dont even make 'em in R-22 anymore....410 only. 410 has very hygroscopic oil, no 'slop factor' at all....call a pro.