+ Reply to Thread

Default Mounting a ceiling fan from a junction box with exposed conduit

Hello. I have a city loft with exposed conduit and ducting. I recently decided to replace my two overhead bedroom lights with ceiling fans. The problem came when I went to install them and realized the fans have a decorative cover plate that is made to mount flush to the ceiling to cover the junction box, etc. My junction box has 1/2" conduit running out each side of it that runs through the rest of the loft and ties into the rest of the lighting. Therefore, I am unable to fit the cover plate flush to the wood beam ceiling because the conduit is in the way. Is there a special adapter/cover made for this situation or would using a dremel or similar tool to notch out openings on the cover plate for the conduit be best?

Default Re: Mounting a ceiling fan from a junction box with exposed conduit

The cover plate is decorative, so you can cut as many slots as needed with no problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

One other solution is to have someone cut a piece of steel the same circumference of the ouside edge of the canopy. Then have them cut the center open to have access to the wires.then make slots in the steel to alien with the box holes.this will alow you to use the canopy and not cut it.
    Harry

Along the same lines as Raven; Wiremold makes an oversized, surface mount box that would fit over your existing box which could be slotted for the conduit.

One of my crews just retrofitted a gazillion fixtures with fans in a CO mountain resort town with these.

You "should" be able to find them at a home center.

Thumbs up Re: Mounting a ceiling fan from a junction box with exposed conduit

The wiremold box good call.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Along the same lines as Raven; Wiremold makes an oversized, surface mount box that would fit over your existing box which could be slotted for the conduit.

One of my crews just retrofitted a gazillion fixtures with fans in a CO mountain resort town with these.

You "should" be able to find them at a home center.
    kent so what you are saying is that they made retirement off that job?