+ Reply to Thread

Default No water after spout/ diverter replacement

I had a problem with getting water through the shower head, I checked the TOH website, and found I could possibly fix this problem with changing the spout/ diverter. Lo and behold it did not fix my problem. I do not know the brand name, but, I have a single " knob" for the hot and cold selections, and then the spout/ diverter is underneath it. I am at my wits end and hope I do not have to change my plumbing. Please help.

Default Re: No water after spout/ diverter replacement

Can you post a picture?

If it's an older style, it sounds like the seat washer on the diverter valve may have come loose and is now permanently stuck in the "tub" position. You should be able to remove the knob and retainer nut and remove the valve stem to check the seat washer. Because this is the diverter there should be no need to turn off the water at the main because this isn't a live pipe without the main mixer valve being on. Your best bet would be to try to find an identifying mark on a handle, escutcheon plate, etc, then Google to find a repair manual from the manufacturer. This will help you diagnose the problem and go about fixing it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thank you for the quick turn- around. I have already replaced the spout/ diverter. There is no water coming from the showerhead, when I put the diverter in the shower position. And I was very careful to make sure I had the same replacement spout/ diverter when I replaced the old one. I searched for a brand name, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by tholloway View Post
    I had a problem with getting water through the shower head, I checked the TOH website, and found I could possibly fix this problem with changing the spout/ diverter. Lo and behold it did not fix my problem. I do not know the brand name, but, I have a single " knob" for the hot and cold selections, and then the spout/ diverter is underneath it. I am at my wits end and hope I do not have to change my plumbing. Please help.
    HELLO,
    I was wondering if you ever fixed your problem? Did you have to replace the plumbing after all? I have a similar issues (have about 30% of water coming from the shower head and the rest through the spout). I was told by a "plumber/friend" that i may have to replace the plumbing, it is a 1950's original plumbing) but wanted to see if you fixed it somehow.
    Also, how did you learn about "how to change the diverter" - is it pretty easy? sorry for so many questions.
    Thank you in advance.
    ann

You could be having a problem with the diverter since some water is coming out of the shower head.

Smile Re: No water after spout/ diverter replacement

Quote Originally Posted by ann barbar View Post
    HELLO,
    I was wondering if you ever fixed your problem? Did you have to replace the plumbing after all? I have a similar issues (have about 30% of water coming from the shower head and the rest through the spout). I was told by a "plumber/friend" that i may have to replace the plumbing, it is a 1950's original plumbing) but wanted to see if you fixed it somehow.
    Also, how did you learn about "how to change the diverter" - is it pretty easy? sorry for so many questions.
    Thank you in advance.
    ann
    Mrs. Ann,
    Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to the discussion board. I found out my problem was a simple fix. I removed my shower head to replace it, thinking the showerhead was blocked, and it was. There was a small rubber washer that acts like some sort of seal that had worked its way loose and blocked the flow of water. Now, I removed the washer replaced it with another one, and everything works fine. I actually have more water pressure coming out than I did before. I do not know if you have the same problem, but try removing your showerhead to see if there is some sort of blockage. Thank you.

tholloway