+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default A/C & Heat Exchanger

I was told my two year old Heil A/c unit is not compatible with any new heat exchangers. I need a new exchanger I was told but do not see the logic for the new A/C unit. Am I being taken?

Default Re: A/C & Heat Exchanger

Curious .... what reason were you given?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I'm not sure of your question canuk first off I'm not sure what is going on. The guy today said the exchanger is leaking so I'll have to take his word on it. If the exchanger is to be replaced I was told the A/C unit would have to be changed too for what reason I don't know. I feel very lost on this one since I do most of my own home repairs as it is. I will have to research all I can to understand A/C units i guess. Oh I just found out that they no longer use Freon now its Puron

DON'T do anything yet . Get a better explanation from the contractor for replacing the A/C unit . If none of the HVAC guys here come to your rescue , try this site .

http://hvacmechanic.com/

Kmann: Please don't take this personally, but your post enables me to make a point.

Your mention of doing 'a lot of your own repairs, etc.' gave me more than normal concern in that you apparently don't know the components of the system you have, or there is an absolute communication obstacle between you and the person who made the diagnosis.

IF, you are referring to the "exchanger" as in heat exchanger, as in furnace, then NO you do NOT have to replace the furnace in order to replace the air conditioning unit.

IF, you are referring to the "exchanger" as the indoor evaporator coil, then NO you do not HAVE to replace this in order to replace the outdoor unit; HOWEVER, you will not have a matched system and no efficiency will exist for it, so any indication of efficiency would be a guess.

If the latter is the case, then it would definitely be in your best interest for a variety of reasons to replace the indoor evaporator coil at the same time as the outdoor unit.

In order to advise you correctly, I have to know what the heck you are talking about. There are so many inconsistencies in what you have stated it is scary.

They STILL make R-22 (freon is only a tradename) and Puron is a trade name for R410-a the newer, replacement refrigerant for R-22.

There are timelines for the phase out of R-22 on the immediate horizon, but as we speak it is still available. I recommend to my customers that they install 410-a systems to be ahead of the curve.

Give me more information.

If YOU don't even understand what you were told, it is even harder for me to when I can only speculate on what the problem is.

The short version? Yeah, if I am understanding you correctly, you are being fed a line of B.S. about the industry in general and your system specifically.

All the best, Irishmist

p.s. HVAC is not something you can pick up over a weekend of 'on-line' study or trial and error. It is a profession (as in professional) and requires both classroom and field instruction as well as continuing education. In most states licensing is required and working with refrigerants requires a certification.
    Live your life as an EXCLAMATION; not an explanation!

Ok Irishmist. What you stated is for the most part correct. I do not have a license. I have been remodeling homes for 20 years now BUT I only do older homes no newer then 1920. These homes never had central air. So don't put me down because I have my experience in old homes only. I would also like you to know I worked for Kramer Trenton building commercial A/C units. Also I was a millwright working for Wenczel Tile as well as B&B Industrial in Burlington NJ. I am also a retired Engineer in the Geodedic Survey field. If you feel you would like to go head to head on other topics let me know. Also I am a x Marine> Seper Fi