+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Anyone know what style house this is?

Hello - I am closing on my first house (a fixer-upper) this Friday. Does anyone know what kind of house this is from the picture? The listing agent had it as a Cape, but the Appraiser called it a Colonial.

Help! Any other info about it's rather unusual design would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house front.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	1120  

Default Re: Anyone know what style house this is?

Not a home expert, but it does look like both a Cape Cod and a Colonial. Cape Cods typically have steep roofs like the front of this house, but then again, you have a Dutch Colonial style with the rest of the house. Tough to say...

Quote Originally Posted by lemonypickett View Post
    Hello - I am closing on my first house (a fixer-upper) this Friday. Does anyone know what kind of house this is from the picture? The listing agent had it as a Cape, but the Appraiser called it a Colonial.

Help! Any other info about it's rather unusual design would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    You suggest two specific architectural styles, which your singular photo suggests no details specific to either of those styles, and without a modifier suggest homes of a particular vintage (obviously not the case) for a basically architectually style-LESS design appearance from your singular photo .

You have provided nothing regarding details, or other views and refer to a realtors listing on a home you claimed you were about to close upon. No information as to age, floor plan, location, size, etc.

Well, you asked for it x2 posts and a recent visit to the other string (neither of which is in the "House Styles" board area), so here goes.

Looks like an ugly muddled non-descript building of unknown age, description, location (no details provided): basically appears to be an ambiguous style-less common structure. In no way even close to suggesting anything remotely or loosely categorized as colonial or cape cod in influeance (revival or neo- included).

If mid-to late 19th century origin might be politely referred to as:

Vernacular architecture with at least one addition/modification in its history if not several. Vernacular architecture refers to structures built of local materials in a functional style devised to meet the functional needs of common people in their time and place. Vernacular structures built by people not schooled in any kind of formal architectural design. This categorization can be applied to one, one and a half, and two story structures.

Overall in its present muddled state might be refered to as an Upright-and-Wing, with steep sloped roof, flared eaves and shed dormer. This categorization can be applied to one, one and a half and two story structures, and those in which the ell or "Wing" is equal in ridge height or lower in ridge height to the "Upright".

May even have been muddled and multiple additions to an initial Two-Pen, or possibly originally a one-room school house, "meeting house", or church.

Frankly if its younger than 1910, might be a 1910-1940s plan house or kit home with subsequent addition and remuddling.

You provided no information as to the floor plan, explanation for the differing 2nd level window elevations, etc.

I would suggest you do some research on a site like this

http://www.antiquehome.org/Architectural-Style/

I would agree with Blue RidgeParkway regarding the time frame the home was built and that it was likely a kit home. But it seems to be a scaled down version of a kit, lacking much of the architectural details or character of these homes.

The attached home is an example, which has some of the features of your home, but more character. I am sure if you search the website I highlighted above you will find it.

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sears Lynnhaven.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	1961