+ Reply to Thread

Post Painting Laquered Cabinets

I would like some guidance on how to go about painting over laquered wooden cabinets that reside in the laundry room. The cabinetes have not been previously painted and have been in the house since its construction in 1955. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Default Re: Painting Laquered Cabinets

Wash the cabinets down with a TSP solution, rinse well, allow to completely dry.

The washing process may have raised the grain a bit, used 150 grit sand paper to gently sand with the grain to remove the chunks. You're not trying to strip the finish or get things baby's butt smooth, you're only trying to get rid of excessive roughness due to raised grain.

If there are any deep gouges, now is the time to fill with either wood filler or spackle paste. Sand smooth when dry.

Wipe cabinets down with a damp cloth to remove sanding dust. Allow to completely dry.

Apply a good primer such as Zinnser's Bullseye 123 or Kilz (original ). Bullseye will be easier to use and clean up, Kilz will work better for sealing knots or stains. You will likely need two coats of primer to get good, even coverage.

Apply two coats of an alkid paint. Alkid paints are tougher and more durable. As I recall, alkids are a replacement for oil based paints.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!