+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Flushing a gas water heater?

Not to sound silly or ridiculous, but I'm a new home-owner with a question. Of course, I've lived in houses most of my life, but my family moved so often that most of the "routine" maintenance things never got done while we owned the house ... so, consequently, I don't know how to do some of the long-term, on-going maintenance things that a home-owner should probably know how to do.

I've heard that a home-owner should flush the hot water heater to remove sediment from the tank, especially if your supply of hot water seems to be diminishing over time. But I don't know how to do this. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

Default Re: Flushing a gas water heater?

Attach a garden hose to the drain valve at the bottom. Turn water heater off. Close both valves going into and coming out of water heater. Drain water heater first. You may have to open cold side to allow air to help water drain. If so, Just turn off cold water into house, open all cold side faucets. Then once tank is drained. Close all valves, open cold valve into water heater and open cold water to house forcing only the cold water down into the heater and out the drain /garden hose. Do that and watch the water as it clears out the hose. Once it looks clear. Close drain valve, open hot valve up to faucets/house. Hope you understand.
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Flushing a water heater is a simple process, have a look at the article I wrote on the subject.
    Water heater sediment
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

That makes sense, and doesn't seem too hard to accomplish. Thanks for the help!

Be prepared for the drain valve to leak once it's been opened. Generally it's just a drip, so it's not a huge big deal, but you'll need a cap with hose threads and rubber gasket to keep the drip contained.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!