+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wood Worker

Hybrid View

Default Wood Worker

I want to install a ceiling fan in a room with no light fixtures. I have a wall switch and wall outlets. I know how to put the fan in the ceiling properly. I need to know if I can run the wire from the wall switch and how. Or should I run the power from one of the wall outlets. The fan has light so I would like the switch to operate the fan.

Default Re: Wood Worker

Quote Originally Posted by wood worker View Post
    I want to install a ceiling fan in a room with no light fixtures. I have a wall switch and wall outlets. I know how to put the fan in the ceiling properly. I need to know if I can run the wire from the wall switch and how. Or should I run the power from one of the wall outlets. The fan has light so I would like the switch to operate the fan.
    To try and answer your question simply, a fan light combination usually has two separate circuits, one for the fan and one for the light. You should have two separate switches. If you have an existing switch it may be wired to control half of the individual outlets to turn lamps on and off.
    You can run a 2 cond plus ground wire from an existing outlet to the fan ceiling box or from a breaker panel. In this drawing I have the two switches in the same switch box and use 3 cond from the switch box to the ceiling box.

The hot lead from the source is wired to the black lead to the switch box which in turn is wired to the two switches. The red wire is attached to the fan switch and to the fan circuit in the fixture. Thec white wire is taped with black tape on both ends and is wired to the light switch and the fixture light circuit. The white wire from the source is wired to the common wires of the fixture and the ground to the ground of the fixture. Hope that helps. The colors for the wire to the fan may not match your fixture.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb