+ Reply to Thread

Default Pressure valve clicks on and off too fast....

We have a well for our water and lately when you turn on more than one faucet the pressure dies down to almost no flow. I also notice the expansion tank, i think thats what it is, has a pressure gage that turns on the well pump when the pressure gets to a low level. My problem is that the pressure vale is clicking on and off like a blinking light, it goes from 50 psi to 72 psi and back and forth within seconds of each other constantly until the faucets are shut. I'm sure this is not right. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Default Re: Pressure valve clicks on and off too fast....

Hi Joe, Could be bad pressure switch, no air in tank, depending on style tank you have or air in the system/tank. Close off all valves in and out of tank, drain out tank. Fill tank, then open valve to house. Pressure switches are usually 20/40 or 30/60. Check and see on the switch cover, then that is what setting should be set at. hope this helps. GregC
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

thanks Greg.... when you say fill tank do you mean with air or water...

and i raised the pressure to 72psi last year because the shower pressure was not enough, and to be honest i still don't think it is enough...

so drain the tank and then open the water valve to fill it up again?

YES, if it is a "pre-charge" tank it already has air inside or above the bladder inside it. I cant tell what kind of tank you have. If it is a pre-charged tank, it has a bladder inside and above that bladder is air pushing down on the bladder to apply pressure to the water inside the tank. If you have no air then that may be a problem. hard to say what you have there.
    Is just your shower low on pressure? If so, could be clogged shower head or if it is a newer shower head, they have restrictors inside to allow only 1.5 (gpm)gallons per minute flow. If you are like most my customers, we pull them out or make them larger to provide more gpm flow. This is a standard for most faucet companies today to save water by standards they need to follow. Hope this helps.
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Sounds like your tank has lost it's charge, either the rubber diaphragm inside the tank has ruptured or the air has escaped(not common). This is typically beyond the home handyman's knowledge but not impossible.
    How pressure tanks work
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

ok guys this is what is going on..... there's a black plastic pipe coming into the home thru the foundation, about 2 feet in length from the well... it is then connected to the pressure tank that has the shut off and switch valve to switch on the well pump when needed... i got mine set at 50 psi to 72 psi... the tank itself has an air valve on top that looks like a tire fill valve... i pushed it open with my finger nail and it spit out wet misty air, from what you guys tell me it shouldn't be wet air coming out, which might mean a hole in the bladder from what i have read... the house is only 6 years old but the well water leaves white residue everywhere and it stinks like rotten eggs..... would it be smart to put a filtration system before the pressure tank so things don't muck up and ruin the bladder or do i need to do something else.... i don't have a shut off before the tank just after... is it ok to put one before so i don't have to cut the electricity to work on the tank.... also the furnace is right after all this so i bet thats not good for a boiler all that white residue getting to it.... let me know where to go with this... i appreciate all the help.... Joe

You should have a valve on top of the tank that looks like a tire valve. Push the center stem, if you get water then the bladder is ruptured or you have a bladder-less tank and it is water logged. If it is a bladder tank it would need to be replaced if it is a bladder-less tank you will need to drain it and let it refill with air.

If you get air out of the valve turn off the water and drain the tank and check the pressure, it should be about 2 lbs less than the turn on pressure of the switch. If it is not you can increase the pressure with a tire pump.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb