+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower has no hot water and little pressure

Hello,

I'm renting a condo from someone, and I had someone come stay out my place in the 2nd bedroom (3 months after moving in) and when they went to use the guest shower, they had no hot water. Cold water comes out fine, and at full force, but as soon as I get to 12 o'clock on the knob, the pressure drops off until its almost barely dripping out the further you turn towards hot. And then, the water doesn't even get hot (maybe luke warm at best).

I'm terrible at describing things that I know nothing about, so here's two pictures.

In the 2nd pic you can see that the water is barely coming out.

The faucet is MOEN. I don't even know how to take the darn thing off. I started to unscrew the 2 screws in there, but they are so long that they eventually hit the knob and can't be moved. I'm afraid that if I pull the knob too hard, it's going to break.

Can anyone help me out? Am I at least looking in the right place? Is there a trick to getting the knob off without breaking it?

Thanks so much to anyone who can provide some helpful information.

Default Re: Shower has no hot water and little pressure

First, Google is your friend, go to the Moen website and get an owners manual (free to download ).

There could be a piece of debris stuck in the hot water side of the valve or it could be that the anti-scald device wasn't properly adjusted. You'll probably find that this is a cartridge style valve and it is possible that the cartridge is bad and needs replacement. Most of these things requires turning the water off to the building and disassembling the valve to a degree. It's an easy procedure, however, if you've got any misgivings about your abilities, you're better off hiring a professional to change it out for you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

To get access to the valve you first must remove the handle. There is a snall allen head screw at the bottom of the handle. Probably 1/8". Remove the screw and the handle will come off. Then you can remove the two long screws holding on the face plate. If you have a pressure balancing valve there will be two valves that can be turned with a flat screw driver. They both must be turned counter clockwise to the open position. If you turn them in (clockwise) you will turn off the water. If you turn them both on you can pull out the cartridge to try the water. If you don't get water then you can turn them both off and remove the cartridge. There is a retainer on the top. With the cartridge out, slowly turn the valves to allow some water to purge any debris out of the housing. Then put the cartridge back in and try again. If you still don't have water then the mix chamber may be clogged. You will find a really big slot on the right side of the valve that a slotted screw driver will turn. this will open the mix chamber. With it open again slowly open the smaller valves to allow water to flush out the chamber. them close it back and try again. All of this info and pictures is available on moen.com. Look it over before you open it up. It sounds alot worse than it really is.

I went back and looked at the picture again and your handle is upside down. Thats another good thing about moen valves. If you are getting hot on the cold side you can turn the cartridge 180 degrees and it will correct the problem.