+ Reply to Thread

Default Cooling down / removing attc heat

We just bought our house this past December. It was built in 2002 and I now notice that there are no open gables on the ends and only small ridge vents on this house. The attc heat it a lot more than I expected and I'm looking into either adding gable ends or installing a attic fan that mounts thru the roof and pulls some of the heat out. I see that they are not that expensive and an thermo temp unit can be added to control the fan. Which is better or is one better over the other? My roof line has a very steep pitch but there is plenty of attic space to get to the whole back side of the house. On one end, we have a bonus room over the garage and two bedrooms behind it, but the rest of the house has vaulted ceilings but there again, plenty of attic space above them.
    Thanks for your suggestions or comments.

Default Re: Cooling down / removing attc heat

If you live in the south I would not put those single fans in they fail often and concentrate the hot air in one section. the ridge /soffit vent system is better.The part that is sometimes missing are the vent shutes that go in the eavs at the soffit -they allow the air to pull along the underside uf the roof line up to the ridge.

you mentioned gables but not eaves. Does your home have eaves? That is the part that extends beyond the roofline at the top of the walls and is usually where the gutters are located.

I have always found a concensus that ridge vents are the best static vent system for an attic. The power attic ventilators are fine (usually thermostatically controlled) but as with any other appliance, need to be maintained. Also, in order to maximize whatever you do, you need to bring fresh air in as low as possible and then exhaust it high. With gable vents anything you do will only draw air in right along the ridge of the roof.

I would much rather see the ridge vents (which you apparently already have) used in conjunction with the eave or soffit vents. The natural thermal velocity of the air will create a path of fresh air coming in and out from the lowest point to the highest point.

All the best, Irishmist
    Live your life as an EXCLAMATION; not an explanation!

Thumbs up Re: Cooling down / removing attc heat

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyedeagle View Post
    We just bought our house this past December. It was built in 2002 and I now notice that there are no open gables on the ends and only small ridge vents on this house. The attc heat it a lot more than I expected and I'm looking into either adding gable ends or installing a attic fan that mounts thru the roof and pulls some of the heat out. I see that they are not that expensive and an thermo temp unit can be added to control the fan. Which is better or is one better over the other? My roof line has a very steep pitch but there is plenty of attic space to get to the whole back side of the house. On one end, we have a bonus room over the garage and two bedrooms behind it, but the rest of the house has vaulted ceilings but there again, plenty of attic space above them.
    Thanks for your suggestions or comments.
    Ridge/soffit is very effective, if the soffit is not obsructed by insulation.
    I have seen in the past homes with new roof that the roofer put in ridge vents and covered the existing attic vents, with no provision for air through the soffit....dont work. I have also seen soffit vents with the bug screen plugged with everything from cottonwood tree lint to dryer lint (whatever lint wasnt captured by the condensor coil).

Ridge vents work great, and a steep roof is even better, make sure you have something coming into your attic, or nothing will leave your attic.

I live in the tropical South and can sympathize with the heat issue . I have a ridge vent system , three gable end vents and the eaves are vented . In previous homes I had the power vents , and they work well for a couple of years . The motors are cheap and there are no provisions for oiling the bushings .
    I can imagine that the influx of Chinese made products has only made them less reliable .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    I live in the tropical South and can sympathize with the heat issue . I have a ridge vent system , three gable end vents and the eaves are vented . In previous homes I had the power vents , and they work well for a couple of years . The motors are cheap and there are no provisions for oiling the bushings .
    I can imagine that the influx of Chinese made products has only made them less reliable .
    Yup, there are no provisions for oiling MOST residential motors of any kind these days, pressed bushings and disposable, like Bic lighters......I guess Im old, I remember when getting a motor re-wound was an option!

Getting a motor rewound ? Man , that's nearly impossible unless you have large industrial motor I can remember a couple of motor shops here in town that have closed up over the years . Everything is disposable these days .

I have newer home with unobstructed soffit and ridge vent. Still awfully warm up there. Worth the attic fan assuming replacement? Or wood gable vents do as much?