+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default build shower bench outside shower pan

Need help on building shower bench outside shower pan. Does it need to be tied into wall studs or standalone. Also several suggestions on what surface to use cement board, backerboard, greenboard. Thanks barb

Default Re: build shower bench outside shower pan

Hello, all depends on what you are looking for. If you want it permanent, fasten to wall, in not, leave it loose. Cement board best for tile, blue or green sheetrock OK to use as well. All depends on how big and heavy you want it along with the finish you are using (tile, thin set,Formica whatever). Permanent or not. Hope this helps GregC
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Green/blue board is not okay for this application, anything in a shower should be cement board only, preferably with a waterproof membrane over top of it. You can tile over non-cement board, but it isn't a great idea and is a terrible idea in an actual shower.

I'd certainly have the bench tied in to the stud wall. I'd make it like an h with the stud wall forming the back of the h and then have the seat and bottom face tie in to the stud wall on the back. Frame the seat with back and side studs with however many lateral studs as you need (1 about every 16 inches, make it evenish though, if you have 30 inches put in 2 lateral studs plus the sides, if you have 38 inches put in 3 plus the sides).

For the seat base just do one vertical boxed section like the seat is made and the same with any sides if they will be 'exposed'. Then tie the whole thing together and screw to the stud wall That should support a good amount of weight.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024@hotmail.com View Post
    Green/blue board is not okay for this application, anything in a shower should be cement board only, preferably with a waterproof membrane over top of it. You can tile over non-cement board, but it isn't a great idea and is a terrible idea in an actual shower.

I'd certainly have the bench tied in to the stud wall. I'd make it like an h with the stud wall forming the back of the h and then have the seat and bottom face tie in to the stud wall on the back. Frame the seat with back and side studs with however many lateral studs as you need (1 about every 16 inches, make it evenish though, if you have 30 inches put in 2 lateral studs plus the sides, if you have 38 inches put in 3 plus the sides).

For the seat base just do one vertical boxed section like the seat is made and the same with any sides if they will be 'exposed'. Then tie the whole thing together and screw to the stud wall That should support a good amount of weight.
    -Matt
    Question was..."Need help on building shower bench outside shower pan." key word was outside. If she meant "an outdoor shower pan" then I agree and my comment would have been different.
    Last edited by GregC; 01-26-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

To me saying a shower bench means it will still be in the shower, therefore exposed to the water from the shower. I can't rightly think of a shower bench I've ever seen built in the shower pan itself. My in-laws have their shower bench built outside of the shower pan and built with concrete board and water proof membrane because it is still in the shower/shower stall.

Now if it is a shower bench, outside of the shower, then that would be a different story, but I wouldn't consider that a shower bench, it would be a bathroom bench.
    -Matt