+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Improve My Front!

My wife and I have owned this house for 14 years. We're finally getting around to fixing up the front. I'm about to install new windows. We're throwing around a few other ideas. Any input would be appreciated. Our main concern is that the house looks too plain and uncoordinated.

1) We may increase the size of the window and door frames? Thoughts?

2) We may build a wider step/deck and place a roof over it. Essentially a front porch. I'm unsure how the roof would best fit over such a porch? Thoughts?

3) We will change the color of the front steps for sure.

Are there other ways to spice up the front of this house?

[IMG][/IMG]

Default Re: Improve My Front!

asc2078,

Thank-You so much for your reply. We've spent the evening mulling over some of your ideas. New windows for the upper floors are arriving shortly. They will match the first floor in color and design. Tonight we are considering reconstructing the window at the 2nd floor right to match the size of the window at the 1st floor right. YukYuk suggested this balance and I thank him/her as well.

We are partial to a small/roof potrusion over the door. One that matches the roof above the 2nd story would be nice. I could build it with a plan to allow for a light below it. We will also consider your suggestions for a fuller, more decorative door. Perhaps the door trim should be thicker?

The snow does little justice to the summer landscaping. The front is nicely landscaped in summer with plants and bushes. We do see that the walkway/steps/door do not work. We'll probably start with staining the steps blue to match the window and door trim.

YukYuk, we hope now to to do as described. New windows, new door, painted steps, and a small roof atop the door. Perhaps a bigger door (trim).

Thank-you both for your thoughts and ideas. More are always welcome.