+ Reply to Thread

Default Drywall nail heads appearing/popping

Drywall nails were used on my walls and ceilings in my apartment. The nail heads are starting to show through the paint and/or compound. How can I repair the problem? Sink them further use screws and somehow pull the nails?

Default Re: Drywall nail heads appearing/popping

In fact it is often easier to install the screw, adjacent to the nail, before you remove the nail. That will usually make the nail head protrude more for pulling it out. You can then cover both the old nail hole and the screw head with your spackling compound.
    This is a good point and will work in some cases.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the information. I figured I would have to rescrew and remove the nails. Ugh!

nail pops are usually caused by a couple of simple problems and both relate to the nail not being secure in the wood.
    1. the nail missed the 2x4 and so they added another that hit and never took out their miss.
    2. the nail caught the edge of the 2x4 or hit a soft spot of the 2x4 and the hanger thought it was secure.

then what happens is due to vibrations as in doors closing or even walking on the floor above will cause the nail to move seperately from the drywall which then causes the small nail pop that you see. but the end result is the same if you drive it in further it will pop agian. so the only real solution is just as asc gave you.