+ Reply to Thread

Default beat up walls need help

I am a first time home buyer and inexperienced painter. I started painting my bathroom, but the wall is so beat up that it looks horrible. I discovered that there is wall paper underneath about three layers of paint along with many, many spakle repairs. I am looking for a way to make the walls look nicer. I started to sand them down, but I can't tell whether it's doing any good or just making a dusty mess. Any suggestions?

Default Re: beat up walls need help

I would suggest removing the wall paper first. You can do this either by steaming them or using a wall paper removing system. Go slow and take your time.If there is dry wall bellow the paper sanding will remove the paper that covers the gypsum and ruin the dry wall. Small sc****s can be repaired after your done using joint compound.
    If it is plaster the surface could withstand the scraping easier as plaster is harder and more durable.
    Harry

If the wallpaper is not pealing or coming off.. Just paint a coat and then Re-Texture over the wallpaper.. hit the new texture with a few good coats and you should be fine.........

since you stated you started painting already and you also found out.about the 3 layers of wallpaper underneath the paint.the best and easiest thing to do. finish with the one coat of paint then do a light skim coat with mud..(joint compound) smooth it out ..sand. prime and paint..