+ Reply to Thread

Angry deck, poor job with stain

Please give me ideas how to fix my parents deck. A man was paid to stain the deck and "painted" it with stain. What a mess. The stain has pooled in several places, overall coloring is blotchy, some areas very dark and some barely covered. We supplied Olympic Cedartone stain (love the stain, he just didn't use it right!) and the deck is entirely cedar, about 3 years old. We cleaned the deck well before he started. Now we just aren't sure where to start to fix it. Should we sand to remove the thick blotchy areas or use some kind of product to remove the stain - just don't know where to start and don't want to ruin the wood or make it any worse, couldn't look much worse. No luck talking to the guy who did it, unfortunately he was paid before the deck was inspected so now he has his money and isn't concerned about the quality of the work so we didn't know where else to turn. Look forward to ideas, tips, advise. Thanks.

Default Re: deck, poor job with stain

Quote Originally Posted by cindy's mom View Post
    Please give me ideas how to fix my parents deck. A man was paid to stain the deck and "painted" it with stain. What a mess. The stain has pooled in several places, overall coloring is blotchy, some areas very dark and some barely covered. We supplied Olympic Cedartone stain (love the stain, he just didn't use it right!) and the deck is entirely cedar, about 3 years old. We cleaned the deck well before he started. Now we just aren't sure where to start to fix it. Should we sand to remove the thick blotchy areas or use some kind of product to remove the stain - just don't know where to start and don't want to ruin the wood or make it any worse, couldn't look much worse. No luck talking to the guy who did it, unfortunately he was paid before the deck was inspected so now he has his money and isn't concerned about the quality of the work so we didn't know where else to turn. Look forward to ideas, tips, advise. Thanks.
    I wouldn't be so fast to blame I have used this stain myself and had the same results. As wood ages and becomes more Porous in some areas and hard in other areas. The resault is a blotchy mess (light and Dark areas). The stain also pooled as you described. Wait till next year after the winter when it peals off and you have bare spots. Just my opinion
    Harry

If you could see the mess this deck is in I don't think you would want to live with it for a year, if I had put it on I certainly wouldn't just leave it that way. Whatever the reason, this is a problem I want to correct - Any other suggestions?

Read the label and/or contact the manufacturer on how to clean up the material once it's dried. This will tell you how to clean up brushes and other tools that have dried stain on them. What you can extrapolate from that information is how to clean up the mess on your deck because if the dried material can be removed from tools, it can be removed from the deck.

Work slowly and carefully in small spots, starting with the most inconspicuous area first. Follow all the cautions and handling procedures for the stain and any solvents, as well as disposing of the used rags and materials safely and properly (a wadded rag can self-ignite if left alone ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: deck, poor job with stain

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I will contact the manufacturer. I really appreciate your advice, now I have a reasonable place to start!