I signed a contract on a 53 year old house in south florida on thursday January 21st with a gracious 15 day inspetion period. Over all the inspection was fairly good and I heard what I had expected to hear until the inspector emerged from the crawl space and said I smell creosote......until today I had never heard this word..... He told me what it was and what it was typically used for and said he hadnt seen it used in a residence but he used to build docks and was sure that was what he smelled. After a small amount of investigating it was confirmed the joists are rail road ties (only 2 owners of the house both still in the area confirmed by the original owner)Structure isnt as much the issue as saftey of living with a carcinogen under my feet. I am having a difficult time finding out ANYTHING about living with creosote in this manner.......would you move yourself and your 13 year old daughter into a house that has creosote floor joists? There is no obvious odor IN the house and an oil burning furnace was at one time in the house could this contribute to the odor in the crawl space? HELP!!!! I need answers ASAP the clock is ticking Im into this for 710$ after all the inspections today do I go further or run for the hills?