+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Thumbs down power but yet no power.....

I'm totally lost.....We tore down an old shed that had 14.2 wire ran to it. There was a washer, dryer, an old chest type freezer, and a light. So now we have removed the old shed and had a new one built. We have 14.2 wire ran to this shed with 4 recepticals and a light on this wire. We use a voltage detector and we have voltage but as soon as we plug in a lets say a surge protector we have no voltage in the surge protector. It will not power up a fan a light or nothing. This wire is hooked to a 30 amp cutler hammer breaker. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

Default Re: power but yet no power.....

The first thing ........ with a voltmeter ( not a tester) what is the voltage ?

The second thing ....... where is this shed located ? In other words ....... how far from the main service panel is it ?

The longer the run of wire the more of a voltage loss ( drop ).

The third thing ..... 14/2 is not large enough of a wire gage to support 30 amps.

Is the dryer an electric one?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

ok, the first answer is I have no idea what the voltage is....

#2 the shed is right against the outside breaker box so just a short distance

#3 would a 20 amp breaker work with 14.2 wire??? we have our horse sheds and well ran off of 20 amp breakers and they work?? Please respond back thank you

Thumbs down Re: power but yet no power.....

ok, one more question...we just tried hooking the shed to a 20 amp breaker and it was the same thing....power but not any power....but what if we wired the breaker to the main switch in the shed with 12 wire and the recepticles wired with the 14.2 wire, would that work??? MAYBE?

ok, if you will, please email me at busladyred@yahoo.com and maybe we can discuss this better that way. PLEASE

I agree with all that DB has already posted.

There sounds like a couple of things you can do .... of course this is sight unseen.

You might run seperate lines with appropriate wire sizes and breakers from the main panel to the area the washer , lights , receptacles .... the dryer is still unknown if it's an electric one.

The other option is to run an appropriate sized wire with the correct breaker at the main panel to a sub panel ( or pony panel ).

No offense ....... it doesn't sound as though you're too familiar with electrical and it may be in your best interest to have someone who is do the work properly and safely.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

It is so hard trying to explain stuff this way....and I don't know how to really put into words on here what we have done....if someone would email me maybe I can get your number or I'll give mine which ever so maybe I can explain what we have going on with the wiring of this shed....