+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Living Green, What Does It Mean?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    My comments are to compare apples for apples in whether a whole tire is left laying beside the road or any other location, and how that is any different to the environment than the shredded form..

One big difference is that whole tires catch water inside that sits stagnate and provides a breading place for mosquitoes. That's why they have to be shredded.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

.... and that's a good thing.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    Okay, I agree about the shredded bits being tracked all over the place, but any other mulch and even decorative rock pose the same problem. I think the idea is to use them properly, keeping them contained with a box as well as putting in a proper barrier beneath them. lol but little kids will track things everywhere, at least mine do. I have more sand on the patio than in the sand pit.
    The difference with natural products like wood chips, bark, and rock is that you are not polluting the environment with them, even if they do escape their bounds. It would be interesting to know how the "colored" wood chips are done, both the wood chips themselves as well as the dye used to color them.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    One big difference is that whole tires catch water inside that sits stagnate and provides a breading place for mosquitoes. That's why they have to be shredded.
    Jack
    Shredding, doesn't make them inert, however. And, mosquitoes will breed with or without a tire being present. All I'm trying to say here is that the recycled product shouldn't be a continued impact on the environment, or at least contain that impact in already "contaminated" areas, meaning as a speed hump, there's already asphalt or concrete there, a rubber bump isn't going to do any more or less harm.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Exactly ... merely taking solid tires and shredding them to be used as mulch wouldn't be my idea of recyling ... geez ... gravel would be a far better option for mulch.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

You would think they could mixit wit asphalt, tha's already a toxic dump.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You would think they could mixit wit asphalt, tha's already a toxic dump.
    Jack
    I happened to catch part of a "building green" program on PBS last weekend and they're playing with that very thing for low traffic areas such as parking lots and driveways.

They tried to pass off another "green" item, cement and cinder blocks with up to 35% fly ash - the residue from burning coal. The thinking is that cement is a not environment friendly to manufacture, so in an effort to use less of it, they're using fly ash as a filler. The problem is that fly ash is laden with lead, mercury, and other heavy metals and toxins. Which again begs the question, how is using toxic substances in any way "green" or environmentally friendly?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: Living Green, What Does It Mean?

Our blog has lists resources for information on green products, green design, tips for being green and saving money while you do it! Check it out at www.thinkdwell.com