+ Reply to Thread

Red face Newbie question about paint colors and stains of woods

I'm buying my first house. The crown molding looks like it might be oak - medium tone, sort of warm. The ceilings look like they're tray ceilings with the molding in the inner edge. It's in most of the shared rooms - front room, main front hallway, kitchen, and dining room, as well as the master bedroom. The dining room has a double tray with wood in each one.

The problem is that the dining room (and back hallways) have a wood floor that looks like it's a deep cherry. It doesn't match the molding and it's obvious that they're that different. The room is wide open to the hallway on 2 sides so there's no hiding the difference.

My question is: Is this usual? I understand a little about choosing color schemes but I can't find anything about how to mix/match the different tones of woods. Do you want to match wood stains? Surely not all the wood has to match but I don't think this looks right.

I'm totally lost.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dining room.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	3143  
    Last edited by Sweetie3.141; 01-25-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Adding pic

Default Re: Newbie question about paint colors and stains of woods

Sweetie,

Personally, I don't care for mis-matched woodtones. You might consider altering the tone of the crown molding to more resemble the flooring. I would suggest the use of a pigmented varnish such as Min-Wax Poly-Shades on the moldings. A cherry like tone could probably be added to the crown. Poly-Shades can also be tinted to some extent with universal tints, although you need someone who knows what he is doing, a professional painter or someone with a little art training. One drawback of a pigmented stain is that if scratched, the original color shows through, but since the crown moldings are highly unlikely to ever be touched, this is not a problem. As the color is in the varnish, every additional coat of varnish darkens the finished look.

An oil glaze, followed by a finish coat of varnish, could accomplish the same results. If you use glaze, make sure it is very dry before going over it with varnish, lest the varnish "lift" the glaze.