+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default upstairs sinks both clogged

upstairs sinks both clogged ?!?!?
    ps: same bathroom, dual sink counter
    both sinks full of water, where is clog ?
    Last edited by davebobchuck; 08-21-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Default Re: upstairs sinks both clogged

How bad is the clog?

For a basic clog you might try pouring boiling water down the drain (do NOT do this if you have PVC pipes, only for metal piping).

If that doesn't work I'd try a flange plunger.

If THAT doesn't work I would try using a sink auger or a plumbing snake.

The J trap is the usual culprit. Place a bucket underneath and take it apart by hand. Clean it out and replace.

You can use plunger first to pull off what caused the clogging. If the drain still remains blocked try to pour half a cup of baking soda down the drain. Afterwards, pour about three cups of boiling water. The baking soda and the hot water cause a reaction that may dissolve and move through the clog.

Quote Originally Posted by davebobchuck View Post
    upstairs sinks both clogged ?!?!?
    ps: same bathroom, dual sink counter
    both sinks full of water, where is clog ?
    How did you fare on this ?

With both sinks clogged, this would suggest the obstruction is further down the stream, perhaps where both sinks join a main drain, but before the toilet drain connection ?

Did any of the above remedies help ?

The stoppage is beyond the traps as Brookworld said. If both sinks are clogged. I doubt that both traps clogged simultaneously. You need to snake the line beyond the traps.

John

Many times, side by side lavatory sinks and back to back lavatory sinks are plumbed into their vent stack using what is commonly known as a "cross" fitting. If you try to run a cable through one sink, many times, the cable will go straight through the cross and end up in the trap of the other sink. What you have to do is find the vent stack in the wall above the flood rim level of the sinks - this means above the countertop level. I usually go about a foot above - drill a 1/2" diameter hole in the pipe so you can get your 1/4" cable down the vent stack. That is, unless you can gain access to vent easily from the roof or attic, where you don't have to damage your walls. I hope this helps. Friendly Home Services Baton Rouge...

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyHomeServices View Post
    Many times, side by side lavatory sinks and back to back lavatory sinks are plumbed into their vent stack using what is commonly known as a "cross" fitting. If you try to run a cable through one sink, many times, the cable will go straight through the cross and end up in the trap of the other sink. What you have to do is find the vent stack in the wall above the flood rim level of the sinks - this means above the countertop level. I usually go about a foot above - drill a 1/2" diameter hole in the pipe so you can get your 1/4" cable down the vent stack. That is, unless you can gain access to vent easily from the roof or attic, where you don't have to damage your walls. I hope this helps. Friendly Home Services Baton Rouge...
    You drill a hole in the pipe!!! Then you snake a 1-1/2 drain with a 1/4" cable? The first obstruction you hit the cable will turn on it self and may become stuck in the line. This is some of the worst advice I have seen on this site. What do you do with the hole in the pipe put chewing gum in it?

John

Photos of the last time I used this technique are found by searching dinoseer or FriendlyHomeServices on Flicker dot com - I don't have enough posts yet to allow links...

Yes, ultimately to be to "code", one would ideally cut a Tap Tee to serve as a clean out for future stoppages. If you have a PVC or ABS Vent Stack, you could just cut the stack above the flood rim and put the pipe back together with a no-hub or fernco coupling.

I am a Master Plumber with nearly 30 years experience - I have used this technique many, many times on fixtures plumbed with a cross or in the case of the Drain in my above referenced pictures, my cable kept going up the Vent Stack due to the stoppage being right below where the Lavatory Drain Arm entered a Tap Tee on the Vent Stack.

I also use a high quality American Made 1/4" solidcore cable on my Rigid Drain Machine. I can unstop anything up to a Main Sewer Line...

I hope this helps...

Friendly Home Services Baton Rouge...

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    You drill a hole in the pipe!!! Then you snake a 1-1/2 drain with a 1/4" cable? The first obstruction you hit the cable will turn on it self and may become stuck in the line. This is some of the worst advice I have seen on this site. What do you do with the hole in the pipe put chewing gum in it?

John
    Even though the original poster is probabbly long gone.
    I have to agree with John on this for another reason. Cutting into and snaking a vent to to clear what is probably a clogged trap seems extreme and not likely to work. What ever happened to trying liquid plumber or some other drain cleaner or removing the trap first. With a bunch of girls in the house, I've cleaned hair out of many a trap. Nowdays I try the drain cleaner first.