+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring cleaning

Default Spring cleaning

Where do I start? Is there a typical procedure?

Default Re: Spring cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Insert Clever Handle Here View Post
    Where do I start? Is there a typical procedure?
    Depends on what the purpose of the spring cleaning is:

If it's for the purposes of cleaning, then start at the top - the ceilings - and work down. As you clean cobwebs and dust off the walls and ceilings, it settles on the next item, cabinet and furniture tops, then shelves, then tabletops, and so on. You'll probably want to choose a section of the house to work until completed rather than trying to do the whole thing as one project.

If the purpose is to decludge your space, then definitely choose one room or area to start in and stay there until it's completed. A good rule of thumb is that anything that doesn't get used within 12 months, get rid of it, with the exception of seasonal decorations and such. There are always personal mementos that will never be discarded, and that sort of thing should be looked at differently than say an spare tire from that 57 Desoto that your grandpa sold in 1963. If you don't have a use for it, it goes. If you can't part with it or can't decide, put it in a box with an expiration date. If you haven't touched that box in 6 to 12 months, it goes bye-bye.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

1. Spring arrives
    2. Invite Mother-in-law over
    3. hand her mop, pale, feather duster, vacuum, toilet bowl cleaner, detergents, and tell her if she ever wants to see her grandchildren again, she should start cleaning.
    4. Stop cleaning after complete
    5. Send mother-in-law home
    6. Next Spring, Repeat process starting at step 1.

Warning: After three or four seasons the mother-in-law might catch on.

If you have clutter and or closets that need organizing then do that first. While I like the mother-in-law suggestion, you may need to tackle this on your own!

Prepare some laundry baskets near the closet you are organizing and sort according to items: Keep, donate, move to another space. Once that is completed, wipe down the walls, ceiling and shelves of closets and out everything back in.

Once you have sorted and organized your clutter you can start cleaning.

Have area rugs washed
    Have carpets washed
    Clean under the cushions of couches
    Move couches and vacuum or sweep
    Wash windows- inside and out
    Wipe walls, corners, and ceiling fixtures.
    Wash bed skirts, d****ry etc.

The list could go on...this is a good place to start.

Good luck, happy spring

Quote Originally Posted by peterbouchard View Post
    1. Spring arrives
    2. Invite Mother-in-law over
    3. hand her mop, pale, feather duster, vacuum, toilet bowl cleaner, detergents, and tell her if she ever wants to see her grandchildren again, she should start cleaning.
    4. Stop cleaning after complete
    5. Send mother-in-law home
    6. Next Spring, Repeat process starting at step 1.

Warning: After three or four seasons the mother-in-law might catch on.
    LOL! Good advice!

These tips are informative and good for Cleaning Purpose. I am impressed with these tips. keep it up you done wonderful job.

I usually start in one corner and work my way across the room (or house)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.