+ Reply to Thread

Default Framework Question

Hello,

Has anyone ever heard of Insulspan Structural Insulated Panel Systems (SIPS), for creating the framework? Or Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs)? These are built offsite and then assembled onsite. They are supposed to be greener and cheaper than regular onsite building and building materials.
    The SIPs are made of rigid foam insulation laminated between two layers of structural board.
    The ICFs are forms for poured concrete walls that stay in place as a permanent part of the wall and are supposed to create a warm, solid foundation to build the SIP structure.

I'm wondering if we should go this route, so has anyone ever heard of these or used them?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Framework Question

SIP and ICF have been around for well over two decades.
    Both systems have definate advantages over conventional building techniques with speed of construction and insulation properties being at the forefront.

To say
    They are supposed to be greener and cheaper than regular onsite building and building materials.
    is all relative.
    They aren't necessarily cheaper than conventional techniques and materials.
    SIP aren't as green as using straw bale construction.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Framework Question

Howdy, i have found the two construction methods you are interested in are more expensive then conventional.
    I am self educating about super insulated construction by reading books. Having worked wind stormsclaims, seeing a drawback of SIPs- trees just fall right threw the structure where as conventional framing minor damage from most tree impacts is a huge potential probelm. The insolated concrete block forms require a fire barrier on the inside of the wall to save occupants from possible death if the building burns.
    From reading i find that simply making the outside walls staggered 2 by6 studs with a 2by8 top and bottom plates allow fiberglass insulation to be weaved into the cavity and eliminate most thermo bridging from the studs. This is a real advantage at very little additional cost. Sighting of the home so the long axis is with a southern exposure and minimizing the north east and west windows also greatly helps.