+ Reply to Thread

Default Storm door in customer shape?

My 1870 Second Empire house has entry doors in a custom shape: essentially a rectangle with a t****zoid on top.

Given the skyrocketing price of home heating oil, I would like to tighten up the house with custom storm doors.

The problem is that the vendors I have contacted only do custom sizes, not shapes.

Can anyone point me to a vendor who can fabricate this shape? (Local to Boston would be a big plus).

Thanks for any guidance.

Default Re: Storm door in customer shape?

Use the search feature in the thin blue tool bar directly above your original post. This question was asked and answered within the last two weeks, so it should be easy to find. I don't remember the thread title to be able direct you to it.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A. Spruce,

Thanks for the guidance.

I got in touch with Arch Angle Doors and Windows.

http://www.archangleohio.com/

They put me in touch with a local distributor of their products and I am going to have them come out to the site for measuring and quoting.

I'm convinced that storm doors do very little, if anything, to save energy. Storm doors are notoriously leaky and offer little thermal insulation, especially when paired with a loose-fitting, leaky entry door.

I made the decision not to install a storm door on my house after I spent a few bucks and a lot of hours weatherstripping, caulking and generally making the door tight. No wind gets through the door and I don't spend any time searching for or pulling the storm door tight BEFORE I close the real door. The door is made of wood and is not cold to the touch in the wintertime.

I do, of course, have a screen door, which I remove at the end of the season. Two hinges -- it's no big deal.