+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Wet Garage Floor

I would like to get your impressions of an idea I have been formulating to solve a problem that I have with water accumulating on my garage floor as it drips off my cars after being parked on a rainy or snowy day. This is a problem for me especially in the winter since the water naturally runs over and saturates the area where the wall sits. I am worried that the wood structure of the wall will be repeatedly saturated and eventually decay. We recently had some outdoor concrete engraving work done in order to improve the appearance of our sidewalks and patio. The contractor doing this had a concrete grinder mounted on a little "skateboard" that he used to create simulated mortar grooves in the concrete. I asked him if he could use this to grind deeper grooves in the concrete garage floor .... say 1/2" or 3/4" deep. He said that he though that this would be possible. My idea is to grind a number of grooves in the floor, defining a "box" around each of my cars, and having the grooves run out under the garage doors. I am thinking that as water then drips off the cars, it will run into the grooves and eventually out under the door, rather than just puddling all over the floor and running over to the foundation. Does this sound like a workable system? Will I have to worry about creating "stress concentration points" at the grooves which may cause the concrete floor to crack? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Grant in Eastern PA

Default Re: Wet Garage Floor

Sounds like it would work to me as long as the garage floor is sloped toward the doors. The slab should be around 4" thick, so the 3/4" groove shouldn't be a problem. The only issue I see is keeping the grooves cleaned out so the water doesn't dam up. That would be a big problem in my garage!

This is why it is a good idea to have a "rim" of block or concrete around the perimeter of the garage which the bottom plate of the wall framing sits on.