I am working on a project to restore a great old Queen Anne Shingle Style farm house in Wisconsin.
The majority of the window replacement have gone well with sash replacement kits.
But the large cottage window in the turret bay has not gone well.

I did not understand the dimensional and architectural differences between replacement windows and new construction fin types when I ordered it and wound up with a big mess!

The fin types protrude from the sheathing face by an inch or more. The problem with this is that I have to cut into the beautiful frieze board above and cant get behind it to nail the top fins in place without destroying it altogether...

The second issue is that fin types dont have sills. In order to keep the original look I have to make a fake sill underneath.

A sub heading under that is that the original sills extend to the outer sides of the exterior trim boards just like the interior woodwork does and I just cant find a company that will make a window with its own sills to those dimensions. Again, I would have to add a fake piece onto the ends to make it look right and I doubt it ever would.

It also looks very different and it has been a large disappointment after much expense and labor.

I now have a second one to do and dont want to make the same mistake.

Can anyone tell me what kind of window I need to be looking for. Is there some term I can use to communicate this to the dealer or mfgr? Or is there a way I can adapt a new unit to the old sill, or is there a unit that will simply sit on the original sill the way the old one did and new sash replacements do?

Any help is appreciated!
Vendor submissions welcome!