+ Reply to Thread
    hereward Guest

Default Food cooler - old-house feature

Several older houses I've lived in featured small food-coolers (for winter use, obviously) built into an exterior wall, shut off from the kitchen proper by a sliding door. Is such a thing still available? I may be able to incorporate one into my kitchen renovation.

Default Re: Food cooler - old-house feature

I believe that the "cooler" that you're referring to was actually the compartment that the ice man used to deliver a block of ice. (in the days before refrigerators) He would use the outside door to deliver the ice, and the homeowner would use the inside door to retrieve the block & put it in the icebox.

Your only real hope of finding one would be in a salvage yard.
    HTH

Dave

hereward Guest

Thanks for the reply - you may well be right; I hadn't considered that. I'll either design my own or forget about it)

No, you are right.
    A cooler is often found in original Victorian kitchens. It is a floor to ceiling cabinet with wire shelves for air circulation.
    They are placed on the north (or sheltered) side of the house where no sunlight can strike the exterior.
    There is a screened (to keep bugs out) opening to the exterior at the very bottom and the very top of the back wall.
    The openings create air convection in the cabinet, pulling it cool air at the bottom and exhausting it at the top; keeping the interior cooler that the rest of the kitchen.
    I am a kitchen designer and have specified quite a few coolers in kitchens over the years.
    Once you've had one it's hard to give it up. Great for potatoes and onions and fruit.
    The concept is very simple and any pantry cabinet can be altered to make it a cooler.