+ Reply to Thread

Default AC Unit stops cooling

I live in Mississippi in a double wide manufactured home. Late last summer my ac unit began to freeze up. I had it worked on by a professional a/c person who cleaned the coils and added coolant. It stopped freezing up, but would only blow cool air for a limited period of time then would completely stop blowing air. The unit inside and outside would continue to run. The temperature inside would only go down to 83.
    This same a/c man felt a part inside needed to be changed which he did, this did not solve the problem.
    I then spoke with a different a/c man who felt that the motor in the unit inside may be bad and probably leaking coolant. He added coolant and the unit continued to do the same thing.
    My 1st a/c man then decided that my filter outside leading from the unit to the house was stopped up and that it would need to be replaced. Summer was ending, so I told him to wait til spring to do this since all coolant would have to be released from the unit and it was getting too cool to test the unit.
    The a/c man has now replaced the filter outside and the problem still exists.
    He did this early yesterday am. The unit blew cool for a while, then no air. The temperature inside the house only went from 85 degrees to 83 degrees over an 8 hour period.
    My home is well insulated and I keep the blinds closed on the west side of the house. The temperature should have gone down if the unit had been working properly.
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hot in Mississippi

Default Re: AC Unit stops cooling

First of all, you need to get another contractor. I don't know where you got these fellows from, but you need someone who can thoroughly troubleshoot the system, make the correct diagnosis, correct the problem (ONCE) and do so in a timely fashion.

It sounds like these fellows are working more on the "trial and error" method. This is certainly not in your best interest.

As indicated on another post, there can be multiple causes for the symptoms you have experienced. For someone to "try" something 'hoping' that it works is not the proper way to perform service.

I would initially try to go through the manufacturer's representative (try going ****** to that manufacturer's website) and see who they recommend as qualified contractors to work on their equipment.

Believe it or not, it sounds very much like whatever the original problem was is most likely what you are continuing to experience, therefore the original problem has never been correctly identified and dealt with.

Not being there and being able to thoroughly troubleshoot the system only allows me to speculate what the problem may be, and at that point I am also guessing, but without the benefit of any 'hands on.'

If you cannot get any satisfaction, then request the manufacturer dispatch a factory service rep to look at the system. After all, it is THEIR equipment that is not operating properly. It may turn out to be a problem elsewhere in the system, i.e. air distribution (or lack thereof) that is the problem and not a mechanical issue.

Good Luck.

All the best, Irishmist.

Looking for a good recommendation? Go to neighbors, friends, co-workers, fellow church members, family members and get their referral to a good contractor.

Default Re: AC Unit stops cooling

First of all, you need to get another contractor. I don't know where you got these fellows from, but you need someone who can thoroughly troubleshoot the system, make the correct diagnosis, correct the problem (ONCE) and do so in a timely fashion.

It sounds like these fellows are working more on the "trial and error" method. This is certainly not in your best interest
    Boy .... ditto that .... especially when it's your dime.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush