+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Avoiding Horror Story

Well, maybe they didn't have disclosure laws when that seller bought the house... hmmm.

of course, they'll have to provide new soil samples after the cleanup?

Have you had a whole house inspector examine that house for you yet?

What's your water supply? If it's well water, and there's oil (and who knows what else now), in the soil, any well water may be contaminated.

Is it city sewer or septic?

Were there any outbuildings on that property that you need to check, also? and the soil around them or where they used to be?

Good luck to you on that house and property. I hope they can bring it to proper standards so you can buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveswood View Post
    I guess I need to figure out when its time to say "when". "I've had enough"
    If it were me, I would walk! The longer this plays out, the more things that seem to come up. You don't say how long the previous owner had the place, but it is hard to believe that they didn't know there was asbestos on the pipes. A long ago buried oil tank - maybe, but IMHO, anyone who's owned a property for more than a year will know a great deal about it's inner workings. It sounds to me like you're opening yourself up to environmental issues and other cans of worms that you're going to want no part of, regardless of what is addressed by the current owner.

Keep in mind that when you decide to sell this property, that you'll then have to disclose that the pipes may or may not have asbestos (have you inspected every inch to know it's all gone? ) and the abandoned oil tank that is now being removed. Unless you're stealing this property for a song, it just has all the ear marks of an extreme money pit and problems to come.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Cool Re: Avoiding Horror Story

The remediation of the soil is scheduled along with the asbestos removal. Septic is in good working order with the option to tie in to public in the future. The house has already been converted to public water with an abandoned well. Landscaping to the nines on three acres. All brick withe Pella windows, hardwood floors and radiant heat. Alot of pluses. Guess I am finding it hard to just walk away when I think that all of these things can be fixed at the sellers expense. What is my worse case scenario?

With that description, I'm beginning to understand why you so much want this place.. sounds very nice.

You know, I'm sure there are gobs of houses around here and there that have leaky oil tnnks. I suppose the question is, how far down and out does the leakage go? How much soil and was any water affected? If the seller's handling all that, and the asbestos removal, I'd say you're doing well (though it's no less than I'd expect any seller to handle).
    I maybe missed your answer to whether you've already had a whole house inspector in?
    Does that county have any septic system rules? Where I live the county requires inspection by and inspector on their approved list. Just the seller saying it was a new field and aerator wasn't enough - good thing for me, because my inspector was so good and so thorough that he was out there digging in the ground over the top of the septic tank in the miserable summer heat, and found that the top of the tank had been cracked when the new 'aerator' was installed, so the seller had to replace the tank, too. It's definitely worth the expense.
    What about termite inspection? ALready done? title clear, no liens? Stake survey done? Any rights of way or easements you'll need to consider?

DOes the EPA and /or conservation / natural depts. need to be notified about the oil and or the asbestos?

Anything I've not mentioned that needs to be looked at you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Loveswood View Post
    What is my worse case scenario?
    Worst case scenario is that these environmental issues come back and bite you in the butt when you're ready to sell and move on. Keep in mind that we are not as intimate with the details of this property that you are and can only offer advice from what we've been told.

I would be concerned that what the current owner is going through to remediate the property for you, that you may have a similar experience when it comes your turn to sell. At the very least these items will have to be included in the disclosure statement. Another issue could be the general toxicity of the property, depending on how concerned you are for toxic residues in the soil and structure. By no means am I trying to scare you off or plant ideas of the "sky falling", just a warning to be wary as you proceed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!