+ Reply to Thread

Question Salvaged doors with veneer

I recently purchased an interior 6 panel door that is hardwood with a cherry or mahogany veneer. I paid $150 also inlcudes refinishing. It was salvaged from a house built in early 1900's. Is this a good price? Is this door ok with the veneer? ( I really want to know if this is ok?) I don't know anything about this sort of thing, it is 34" in great shape. He has 4 more does like this from this house, should I get them as well? Any advice of the door would be appreciated? The reason we were not sure what kind of veneer is because it has several layers of paint on them right now.

Default Re: Salvaged doors with veneer

I am not sure I understand your situation. You paid $150 for this door and refinishing was included in the price, but has not been done yet? So you really have no idea what kind of wood is underneath since it is painted, but you think it is cherry or mahogany?

Why would you pay for the door before seeing the finished product? I would not buy anymore until you at least see the door you bought stripped of all paint.

Why didn't the seller refinsh/strip the door prior to selling it?