+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy creosole smelling up patio from railroad ties

HELP! I had railroad ties put in as a retaining wall 8 months ago and whenever the weather is warm or the sun shines on them the black oil oozes out and the terrible smell comes right into the house. there must be some way of cleaning, or growing something over them to block out that poison. i just did'nt know.
    we are desperate for advise and do not have the $ to redo the whole job.
    anyone???

Default Re: creosole smelling up patio from railroad ties

Howdy, sorry your are experiencing what has prompted the use of pressure treated lumber is used instead of rail road ties. As the hazardous chemical leach out of the ties and into the soils the smell will lessen.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 01-24-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: ytpo

yep i picked it but i had never seen other railroad ties doing this, or smelling like this. i guess my question is can't i have them power cleaned or covered with something....must be something to alleviate the smell which i'm worried is potentially dangerous.

Not only are railroad ties extremely carcinogenic in the chemicals (not to mention metals) they leak they are also havens for termites.
    They can sometimes even leach lead into your soil.

http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/soiltoxintest1.html

it might be time to bite the bullet and consider redoing the project.

I'd also take a gander around and check for termites - as someone who is restoring a termite riddled house the damage they cause is astounding.