+ Reply to Thread

Default Termite Resistant Basement?

I am gutting my mostly wood basement after finding termites. A termite company has been out to treat the basement twice already, and i just found more live ones yesterday. I am gutting the basement completely, down to the brick. Its a 1940 build home.

The question is regarding rebuilding the basement. I do not want to rebuild with wood if i do not have to. Is there a way to use some kind of metal or plastic framing i can use to build out the basement or some other materials termites do not eat?

I understand that often times pressure treated wood is used for all floor contact studs, but i would prefer to build it out without wood at all, if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Termite Resistant Basement?

Sure --- metal studs are common and readily available at most home supply centers.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Howdy i'd recommend getting a 5 gallon bucket of borax bordine? you mix it with water and spray any wood and termites will not bother it nor will fungus or other bugs. Works great and on line i got one for about $70.
    It is so easy top apply and environmentally friendly. so you can spray the sill plates and joists recommended 2 foot in from the foundation sill plates. And when re framing any basement rooms simly spray or brush coat the wood and have great piece of mind.

Howdy remembered the company that i got my 5 gallon from its web page is .
    http://www.dudadiesel.com/all_chemicals.php
    Very nice man shipped it to me in Nebraska and they paid the shipping too. good bug free future to you..

A humid basement is no more friendly toward thin steel studs than to un-treated wood. Use pressure treated for the bottom sill, then frame with SPF and have the whole thing sprayed with the borax mixture prior to drywall and insulation. If you spray foam insulation on the masonry wall, it will probably help the framing keep dry. And run a dehumidifier in the summer.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the input much.

Thumbs up Re: Termite Resistant Basement?

Was useful your experience, thank you big
    Over 70 Russian TV channels available at Hidden Content Russian TV ****** right now. Visit us now and get 2 days free access.