+ Reply to Thread

Default water keeps running when toilet overflows

My toilet works perfectly EXCEPT when it gets clogs and overflows. In a clog situation, the flapper does not close all the way which causes water to stay on and keep filling and filling and overflowing the tank. When i am home, i can turn off the water supply and unclog but i am worried that babysitter may not know about shutoff valves and possibly flood the entire home. Thx

Default Re: water keeps running when toilet overflows

Howdy consider installing a replacement flapper. The replacement can have more seal due to fit and or weight... s

Quote Originally Posted by ryan@hsmove.com View Post
    My toilet works perfectly EXCEPT when it gets clogs and overflows. In a clog situation, the flapper does not close all the way which causes water to stay on and keep filling and filling and overflowing the tank. When i am home, i can turn off the water supply and unclog but i am worried that babysitter may not know about shutoff valves and possibly flood the entire home. Thx
    Doesn't sound like a problem with the toilet per se --- rather the problem is the clog. If this is an issue that occurs frequently then the source of the blockage needs to located and cleared.
    Otherwise , show the babysitter how to use the water shutoff.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Come to think of it in the efficient toilets in our place here in OR if the kids do not hold the handle down for a couple of seconds then the bowel is clogged and over flow unless goodness steps in. This could be the same issue at you home.... the simple act of holding handle when flushing a couple seconds works here.

The flapper should close after one flush even if the toilet gets clogged.
    It sounds like the water level is too high and is transfering too much water to the bowl and actually double flushing and wasting water.
    I would adjust the water level and then test the toilet for other problems by flushing tissue to see if it clogs because of too much tissue or the possibility that something is stuck inside the toilet causing the clogs.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan@hsmove.com View Post
    My toilet works perfectly EXCEPT when it gets clogs and overflows.
    By design --- a conventional gravity toilet , the toilet tank is normally filling and emptying simultaneously for a few moments ---- normally it drains faster than it fills when the water in the bowl is allowed to flow.

Therefore ---- a blockage prevents the toilet from operating normally.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush