+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insulation

Default Insulation

I just recently had a shed built, barn style and i now want to insulate it. I use it for storing all my tools table saw chop saw
    circular saw scroll saws etc. Here in Nfld. the weather gets quite cold and i wonder what is the best insulation to use and the thickness or the vat # for the thickness.

Thanks.

Default Re: Insulation

fiberglass batt paper backed great chiice. are walls 2by4 or 6? batts fore either are readily available. spray foam better but $$$$

Depending on the wall thickness I'd use R-13 or R-19 (2x4 or 2x6 construction) and then drywall over it. The drywall is really for fire resistance, though as it is not an attached structure no real worries about that, but it would buy you more time if a fire were to break out in the structure to get it extinguished before it would consume the entire structure.

I'd personally not bother with a vapor barrier, but you could use backed fiberglass batt (it doesn't really cost much more then regular fiberglass batt). I assume you'd probably be running an electric heater in there when you're working? If so then R-13 in the walls with or without drywall covering should do a fine job of keeping you warm enough in a smallish sized work shed.

Quote Originally Posted by chopsaw View Post
    I just recently had a shed built, barn style and i now want to insulate it. I use it for storing all my tools table saw chop saw
    circular saw scroll saws etc. Here in Nfld. the weather gets quite cold and i wonder what is the best insulation to use and the thickness or the vat # for the thickness.

Thanks.
    Regular fiberglass batts would be fine for the shed.
    No need to worry about a vapour barrier and don't worry about trying to hunt down faced batts in Canada --- they have been removed from the market here years ago.

Side note --- when you bring your power tools inside let then acclimate for at least an hour or longer --- depending on the outside temps. ---- before plugging them in and using them. There will be moisture from condensation that should be allowed to evaporate before plugging in.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

An option to cut down on moisture is to bag them. Place them inside of a garbage bag that is sealed air tight. They'll still need to warm up, otherwise they'll form condensation, but it allows them to warm up without forming condensation which would then need to evaporate.

A little trick from my photography world.

I didn't realize that faced insulation had been withdrawn from the Canadian market? Guess I learn something new every day.

Fiberglass needs to be enclosed on all 6 sides for it to work at all, to keep air from moving through it. Dense pack cellulose a better choice for a space you probably don't want to spend a lot on. Foam the best, but that should be covered with sheetrock for fire safety concerns.