+ Reply to Thread

Default wall for 2nd bedroom

I recently rented a two bedroom apartment. The only issue is that the 2nd bedroom is separated from the rest of the apartment by only a folding accordion door on a track. Obviously because I'm renting I can't just build a wall, but I want more privacy for that room.

I thought of sliding doors but I would have to put in another track in the hardwood floor. Is there anyone else that has had this situation and knows of any good products or ideas that aren't too pricey and can be removed easily?

Default Re: wall for 2nd bedroom

if you have the wall space on the inside of the bedroom you can mount sliding doors without any floor track. you mount the heavy duty track on the inside of the bedroom on the wall and either use a larger door blank then the opening or do a few panels which can meet. you can decorate them as wall art if you want or just paint or stain them as doors. you can get rollers for the bottom of the door blank if it is exceptionally heavy or glue on some felt pads so they don't scratch the floor. think Japanese tea house or converted industrial loft space for your inspiration on the hardware. you can always put an area rug just inside the bedroom to block drafts, views, and noise from under the door.

Default Re: wall for 2nd bedroom

I think your options really depend on the width and height of that door opening. Some standard openings have a lot of options. Custom sized openings, not so many and/or very expensive.

If the opening is a fairly common size; such as 26, 32, 34 or 38 inches wide and 82 inches tall, you can pick up a prehung door for about 66 dollars and, adding a few dollars for trim, have a real door there. For another 40 dollars you could get a quiet solid core door. That's if you feel like installing a door.

A better, maybe cheaper, choice for an apartment would be to install an exterior pocket door. Essentially, this is a slab door (solid or not), hung on a sliding door track which is mounted externally on the wall under a ledger (piece of 1x2 attached to a piece of 1x2 to make an "L") and the sliding door track is attached to the ledger bottom. There are many ways to do this and the success all of them hinge on who's doing it and they're experience and/or creativity.

When you move, pull the screws, patch the holes and off ya go.
    If I only knew what I was doing!