+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting Alum Siding-

I need some advise. My house has alum siding that has extremely faded, but is in excellent shape, so faded that power washing alone will bring it down to 90% bare. I have gotten 3 estimates on painting it. All 3 contractors plan to use Sherwin Williams Super Paint. The difference is, One plans on Spraying 2 coats, The other 2 are going to brush it on.
    The Sprayer- tells me that brushing will not cover little crevices as well as the spray and spraying will be more even coat and quicker and that he has homes that lasts over 15years.

The one contractor who wants to brush it, says he will get a better/heavier coat and will not use a base coat because it will peel in a year and that his 2 coats of paint brushed is better than spraying because the paint has to be thinned out to spray.

The other brusher advises a base coat first then 2 coats and that spraying will not last as long.

I would like to get this done, but don't want to waste my money- to have the house look good for 1 year.

Help! they all contradict each other. Does anyone know the right way to go? Spray or Brush, Base coat or Not?

Default Re: Painting Alum Siding-

If your siding is extremely oxidized, I would power wash it until no further oxidation can be rubbed off. Siding in better shape can be merely painted with a quality acrylic paint without a primer. However, in this instance I would prime with an acrylic exterior primer, especially if any bare aluminum is showing. My bias is to brushing rather than spraying. Brushing aids in bonding by physically rubbing the paint into the surface. I would disagree with the statement that spraying is more likely to bridge crevices than brushing. In fact, my experience is the opposite.
    As to what brand of paint is used: be advised that all the major manufacturers make multiple lines of paint from low end to premium. Ask and consult with your local paint dealer as to what line of paint the contractor intends to use. Generally, in this instance you want to use a 100% acrylic house paint.
    A note on spraying: paint does not normally need to be thinned to spray if the proper equipment is being used. A powerful enough unit will support a large enough tip to spray the paint correctly.
    A thought on priming: I know of no situation where priming is wrong, however, it is sometimes overkill. In your situation it is not overkill. Priming is done for adhesion and color change. In fact, if you are not dramatically changing the color, I question why 2 coats of paint are being suggested?